ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#69936 09/24/06 06:57 PM
OK, what do you guys consider "Job Security?" "Handymen?" Plumbers" DIYers? Doofy and his compodraes?

Ian A.

(PS: Yes, this is one of those things my father and I talk about at 2AM in the middle of a Comcast commercial.)

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#69937 09/24/06 09:48 PM
S
I consider job security as being able to perform a task without the help of others. That to me is the ultimate in job security. Also, performing a job that is in high demand (like an electrician), is helpful when the economy slows down. I've been "out of work" for a total of about 12 months in the sixteens years I've been doing this type work.

#69938 09/24/06 10:57 PM
B
I normally consider my generation (boomers) fairly knowledgable on wiring. Maybe its because I grew up on the farm where we had to do everything ourselves. But I think the younger generation (not YOU, electrickid) haven't learned from their fathers like us older guys did. And that's just not wiring, its also working on cars, and mechanics in general. What do you guys think? Do you think your sons know about electrical/mechanical stuff as much as you did at their age?

#69939 09/25/06 02:55 AM
K
I agree with Shock me

My parents insisted that my brother and myself get a trade. So I became an elecrician and Andrew is a joiner (good combo for brothers)

Since I started working in 19....80 I have had a total of 4-6 weeks unempolyed. When you have a famly unemployment is not an option, tradesmen will always find new work.

As for "Job Security" no job is 100% secure. Employers can go bust in the blink of an eye but I can always move on to another site.
I currently work for the UK goverment and have for 14 years but do not consider my job secure. A college lecturer could do what I do but I do not let it worry me the next job is just waiting for me to go out and get it.

der Großvater
#69940 09/25/06 10:10 AM
Cat Servant
Sure, there is a certain amount of work that is 'created' by unqualified fools making a mess of things.

The real security, though, comes after you fix the mess, or solve the problem the hack could not, and the customer realises that you have a skill worth hiring.

That's where the security comes in: being able to do something the other guy can't do. Sometimes this is because of training, your skill, or equipment you have.

Security also comes from being able to adapt. For example, near me they are building the "world's largest industrial park." Right now, electricians need to be skilled in handling big wire, big pipe, and digging. A few years from now, the sparkies will never see a shovel- they'll be doing control circuits and programming PLC's. Today's sparkies will either adapt- or move on.

#69941 09/25/06 11:41 AM
G
The only people with job security are federal judges and the pope.
I worked for a company that bragged about never laying anyone off in the depression but in 1996 they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. 40,000 other people walked the same plank in the 90s. My real job security was having other options so I had a job when my current one went away.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard