ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Some of the building Departments here in Central Ohio are starting to require electrical plans be submitting with the bilding plans for approval. What's everyone's tak on this?

I think its a good thing because for so long we have gotten screwed by having to make assumptions on installations because there is no plan.

The other thing is that a couple of builders have mentioned it to me as if it would be my responsibility to create the elctrical plan for them...um, okay...can anyone say "design fee"? You think they plan on paying me to do it? I doubt it.

I've been asking them if they're framing crew draws up their structural plan for them too...

V
In Michigan a plan review is needed on residential when the service is over 400 amps or the living space is greater than 3500 square feet

G
My wife builds off of masters that are submitted to the county but the electrical plan is just a guideline that sets the service size, major appliances and the general location of the devices. It is far from a point to point wiring diagram. With all the options and walls that can be moved around it is still up to the electrician to insure code compliance (receptacle spacing and such). Which circuit a general lighting outlet may be picked up on may also be a local call.
In the end a lot of the actual placement ends up spray painted on the floor.
This is an example of a master that was marked up to be "lot specific" and that is about as precise as it gets.

(big file) http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/2109plan.jpg

Greg Fretwell
T
Firstly, I am NOT AIA or a spark, I just design houses in my spare time using the IRC as a guidebook.

However, I always put in electric plans. My feeling is that otherwise the HO is going to get screwed by some slip-shod job that makes the house drop in value, either because it's poorly designed or under-designed. Overall, in this case it might be better to be a little OCD on the job. (Sidenote: I also do a structural plan).

E
e57 Offline
I've found that often the DBI uses them to determine several things: Scope, number of openings, (Many charge per opening) confirm elements of Title-24, (If applicable) and scrutinize if you putting in a hidey slidey illegal unit in. [Linked Image]

"So.... You're gonna have a storeroom with a closet and adjoining 3rd bath, and a 2nd laundry room with a sink with 2-120 circuits under it, some counter recepticals and both a 30 and a 50A dryer. And this area is going to get a new entrance from the street?"

They even get people trying to skirt condo moratoriums by slipping additional metering in. Often those people even lie to me as I'm doing the work! It often only comes out after I try beat name-plate data out of them for some wacky "Kiln" or something that will eventually become a range. Plumbers have thier clues too. A room with 2-floordains and one needs to be 4" and 15" from the wall.....

Either way they have always been reguired here for multi-trade permits to get a stamp from planning. And yes structural details are scrutinized, but in more technical ways. (Earthquake country)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Resi, new const, SFD, or addition/renov SFD require 'plans' with permit applications

'Plans' are basically general, loc of rooms, major items; most lack HVAC locations, service locations. EC is responsible for NEC compliance.

Homeowner jobs require 'DETAILS'.

This is New Jersey UCC requirements

John

John
Cat Servant
Here almost every permit application needs to have the electrical part signed off on by either an EE or EC.
It is also common for me to need to go to the PoCo, to get their blessing on any new service, or service upgrades.

Link Copied to Clipboard