ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#69678 09/17/06 12:56 PM
A
aphares Offline OP
I am doing research from other states that require CEU's for contractors to continue to hold their license. I am trying to convince Indiana to mandate CEU's before license can be renewed. If everyone could, please give me the States that require such. Even better, wouldn’t it be nice if they would go to a statewide license! I've been told that would be a cold day in *&^$%.

#69679 09/17/06 01:10 PM
Y
In MA we have mandatory cont. ed. It consists of, every three years, 15 hours of code update and 6 hours of subjects such as business law, first aid, safety and building code. It's a good way to keep up with code changes that are about to be enacted. This is for journeyman and master electrician licenses.
[This message has been edited by yanici (edited 09-17-2006).]

[This message has been edited by yanici (edited 09-17-2006).]

#69680 09/17/06 01:38 PM
L
LK Offline
In New Jersey, we have 34 hours of CEU's, State Lic. laws for electrical have been here since the early 60's they were put in place as part of the consumer protection laws, to provide protection for consumers not to protect electricial contractors, from day one, the electrical contractors assn. has been active in the Lic. rule making, and any changes, they were the ones that suggested the CEU's be put in place, so my suggestion would be, to get active in your state electrical contractors assn.

#69681 09/17/06 01:40 PM
New Jersey:

1 hour of Contractor Law from BOE
9 hours on NEC (2005)
24 hrs of 'Trade Related' subjects
Instructors are BOE Certified

The above is required for each 3 year Electrical Contractor Lic. Renewal
EC's have to pay for the above courses

Inspectors (AHJ's) are also required to take CEU's
Three year renewal period requires 1.5 credits (3 day long seminars) for each technical lic held, and an additional 1 day seminar for each administrative lic held.
(CEU's are funded by State fees tacked on to permit fees)

There is some 'dual credit' seminars for the AHJ's now, and dual credit is 'in the works' for EC's who have AHJ lic's also.

John

John
#69682 09/17/06 01:42 PM
LK:
OK, you type faster then me.....
John

John
#69683 09/17/06 02:49 PM
R
Aphares THIS LINK will give you each states requirement and a list of approved CEU courses for some of the states.

Roger

#69684 09/17/06 03:49 PM
L
LK Offline
John,

They will have to get involved with their state electrical contractors assn. if they want to make any head way, with Lic. laws, these groups, can lobby the state law makers, to help move things along.

#69685 09/17/06 05:15 PM
E
e57 Offline
Whatever you do do not follow California's lead on this. After seven years we dont have much to show for any of it. Dont get me wrong, it is a novel idea, but with competing agencies, thick beurocracy, and legal battles it has not gone well. We have a License Board that maintains all Contractors Licenses, (CSLB) and an Industrial Relations Board (DIR) with a sub-agency for Apprenticeship (DAS).

Bottom line the CSLB has the resources and intimate relations with the Trades to impliment something like this. But due to political connections the DAS guided by outside consultants have done all they could to mess it up. IMO...

Contrary to Mike Holts site linked above California requires 32 hours, however NO ONE knows where or how to get them as of yet - after seven years.....

(a) Certification shall be renewed every three (3) years. To be eligible for renewal an applicant must provide proof under penalty of perjury of 32 hours further electrical education from an Educational Provider relevant to the type of certification, and must certify under penalty of perjury that he or she has worked in the industry 2000 hours within the previous three years.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/t8/291_5.html

A quick google for your state using the correct terminology shows (Recent articles) that you are in one of the battle states for the types of organiations that can poison the path you may want to take in getting an edjucated work-force. Both sides of either of those fights will use a topic like this to thier own advantage. My advise would be to avoid influence of either of them, and shoot for a balancing act between them, otherwise one or the other will grab any effort you make and shift it into the neither world.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#69686 09/17/06 05:49 PM
L
LK Offline
Why would any state try to reinvent something, take another state, that has a good Lic. program, and use it as a guide for yours, have some of these states, lost their minds, or are they really that far out of touch?

#69687 09/17/06 06:16 PM
Cat Servant
I appreciate the good intentions involved.... but can anyone show where CEU requirements have the slightest effect on contracting?

For example, can anyone show that contractors are any more competent or less crooked in state with such requirements?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard