ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
winnie Offline OP
Somewhat off topic, since this is both DIY and not electrical [Linked Image]

I am going to be building some hardware (sewing table, computer desks, fabric storage racks, etc) using strut channel. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the local suppliers in the Portland, Oregon area, and could point me to the 'right place to go' for reasonable prices and a good selection of fitting (especially angle and shelf fittings).

I know that I could, for example, buy all of this stuff from a place like McMaster-Carr (and pay a considerable premium for the convenience), or that I could buy the basic strut and 'Big Orange', for less than half the price of McMaster...but with no assortment of fittings.

I would much rather pay a reasonable premium to a local supplier that has good selection. Can anyone send me a pointer or two?

Thanks
Jon

L
If it was me without a welder I would go to the local metal supply and get 1 1/2 square tubing with holes (like they use for street signs)it is cheaper and bolts together easier. Rod

D
John, I found two.

Cresent Electrical Supply Company
1466 NW Naito Parkway
Portland OR 97209

503-222-4000

Platt

Portland Metro
3053 N.W. 29th Avenue
Portland , OR 97210-1707
Phone: (503) 224-1919

Good luck.....

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 09-11-2006).]

R
If it was me without a welder I would go to the local metal supply and get 1 1/2 square tubing with holes
Unistrut also makes that in 3 sizes that telescope with each other.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
L
But it is cheaper to buy generic from the metal supply than strut from elect. supply. Rod

Unistrut also makes that in 3 sizes that telescope with each other.

H
Winnie,
Portland has a couple of suppliers that sell strut cheaper than the elec. and plumbing wholesalers--Portland Contractor Supply has the most reasonable prices, in my experience. They also sell slotted angle, but I have not bought much, so could not comment on their pricing of the angle. Good luck on your projects.
Larry

Link Copied to Clipboard