ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
HCE727 Offline OP
I need to change a ballast in a recessed light fixture with an emergency ballast (Cooper Lighting, Portfolio C6032 with emergency module option, 2EEM). When the power goes out, the emergency ballast takes over. Does anyone know how to disconnect power from the emergency ballast so that I can replace the primary ballast, which is bad?

Hank
S
I am not sure what your asking?Watch those batteries in there they hurt!

HCE727 Offline OP
The primary ballast is bad and I need to replace it. When I shut the power down the em. ballast powers the lamp. The only access that I have to the primary ballast is thru the trim opening. Is there any way to disconnect the emergency ballast so that I will not get hit. There is a test/ charging plate that is remotly located.

Hank
M
Are you trying to disconnect the battery power??? Or are you asking about disconnecting the line voltage "constant on" feed?

If it's the battery power, most have a small jumper with a connector that you can disconnect that will disconnect the battery from the unit. On bodine units, the wires are brown. I'm not sure about this on CFL units, it has been a long time since I worked on one.

If you want to disconnect the constant on line voltage, merely turn off and LOTO the circuit breaker.

HCE727 Offline OP
I am trying to disconnect the battery power, so that I can replace the primary ballast. Can I disconnect anything in the wall case, with the test/charging indicator light and test button on it, that is remotely located in a drop ceiling.

Hank
Can't you simply kill the power to the fixture and let the emergency ballst run till it's battery dies? At that point, disconnect the e-ballast and the bad old ballast. Replace bad, reconnect and fire it back up.

Also , IIRC from seeing these things before they're installed, if you look over the e-ballast carefuly there will be a jumper as mentioned or a cover on the e-ballast you can open to disconnect the battery.

edited for dropped letters (twice)

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 09-07-2006).]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 09-07-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.

Link Copied to Clipboard