ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#69283 09/03/06 08:22 AM
C
cgw Offline OP
Is there a standard power supply used for power outdoor stages (like an outdoor stage at a town park for public music performances)?

I
No not that I have heard of.

Each venue has different supplies available.

I have no idea what size stage show you mean.

Large stages I have worked on had multiple 200, 400, 600 amp fused disconnects to provide show power.

For smaller stages a 200 amp disconect for sound power and a 400 amp disconect for lighting power can handle a fair range of shows. An additional 100 amp disconnect for video and / or rigging motors is a plus.

The only common receptacles I ran into where cam locs and occasionally 4 wire 50 amp outlets.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
cgw Offline OP
My town has two 100A 120/208 Crouse Hinds receptacles. A cable was made with a matching plug at one end and separate (single pole) connectors at the other end for connection to the band power. I do not know if the cable is custom made owned by the town or a standard thing the band brings with them.
The next town over has a generator next to the band stand with the single pole cables there.

M
A LOT of smaller venues will have a 4 wire, 120/240 single phase, 50A twist lock "California Style" receptacle (the same that spider boxes take on the jobsite). There is usually only one, but a few of them will have 2 or 3. Most sound/lighting companies will be able to adapt to this. Unfortunately, a lot of these community venues just have a bunch of standard receptacles buried in a shed, and you have to run a bunch of 12/3 cords to them. As stated, a show power disco or camlocks are common too, but this may be overkill for a small stage. Most of these have modest sound and lighting requirements, and if a huge rig is being brought in for a special event, they'll usually rent a generator as well. You really don't want camlocks and disconnect "tails" around unless you have a resident tech that is qualified. People will find a way to mess up even the most foolproof setup when the "show must go on".

mike

Look HERE for a discussion on show power hookups. [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
C
cgw Offline OP
Thanks for the info.
I have seen company switches before which were basically 200A or 400A safety switches with camlock receptacles. But these were indoors for theaters.
I have no idea the power requirments of a band. In my case bands that would play n the quad of a college.
It sounds like band distribution panel has camlock connections. I was planning on a 100A 120/208V 3 phase grounded receptacle with a disconnect (actually two because that is what my town stage has) located pretty close to the "stage".

E
e57 Offline
Most "theatrical sparkies" would be looking for camlocks. They will have thier own disribution most of the time. Most of the stuff I have done for a convention center has been to hook up thier whips when they come in, alternatively, install a 100A pin and sleeve receptical, and make a few different break-out boxes for it. (Camlock whips, 2 50A discos for temp boxes, etc.) Depending on what might roll into town you may think of providing 1-4 of these, you would be surpised at what a big light&sound show can draw... But big shows may just bring gennies reguardless....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
T
Camlocks or lugs..

The problem with camlocks is that nobody seems to agree on the orientation of the ground and neutral.. some folks run everything in the same direction, some reverse neutral and ground.

Lugs give you the option of connecting anything you want.

One of the nicer company switches that I have worked with had a fused disconnect, feeding into a large NEMA 3 can (18x18 or larger) with a set of lugs.

The lugs were double lugs, and would handle up to 2x 4/0 tails each, even though it was only a 150a service. Lots of working space, and no live contacts anywhere in the box when the disconnect was off.

[This message has been edited by techie (edited 09-09-2006).]

M
Why not have camlock AND lugs? Check out:
http://www.lexproducts.com/catalog/coSwitch/powerGate.htm

Also available in a 3R version.

BTW, if you are having small bands in a collge quad, make sure you provide 4-6 20A edison receptacles...a lot of these smaller bands don't even know what a power distro is. Best to have many options available. A small concert rig w/o lighting only needs 1-3 20A circuits. Another popular receptacle for smaller stuff is a 30A, 120Y208, 5 wire twistlock. That gives you 6 15A circuits in a small package, it's used in a lot of ballrooms and other "nicer" areas.

Mike

A
I did a stage for outdoor concerts with a 400 A service, a 200 A QO panel for the stage structure itself, a 150 A. main feeding a vendor panel some distance away and a 200 Amp fused disconnect for the sound and light company. I grounded it with 3/0 copper, continuous from the CT cabinet and POCO Neutral through the 3 boxes to the rods, bonded the sheetmetal of each enclosure to this ground with bronze lugs, Kearneys and # 2 Cu & installed 2 copper rods 12' apart and the sound guy says that my service is the quietest electric hookup he has ever used...so whatever you do, ground the dickens out of it, Overkill is required when feeding sound systems.

Link Copied to Clipboard