ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
skipr Offline OP
I have 4 350 mcm wires about 250 feet underground from switchgear to vault. I have tried everything to pull these wires out, they don't move an inch. Anybody have a method I can try? The 4 inch conduit needs to be reused for the school facility upgrade.Plus I have salvage rights for the copper.

[This message has been edited by skipr (edited 09-02-2006).]

L
LK Offline
"The 4 inch conduit needs to be reused"

May be time to find a new engineer for this job, sounds like he thinks he can save some bucks by trying to resuse the conduit, we usually never bid a job like that, with the intention that the conduit can be reused, usually what you find even if you can pull the feeders, is damaged conduit, not much good for pulling new feeders, shorter runs smaller feeders, you may have some luck, when you dig up the existing run, you will most likely find, either crimped conduit or a shift in the run near a coulping, or bend.

Just wondering, what did the old feeders meg out at?

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 09-02-2006).]

Cat Servant
You're probably out of luck.... and have some digging in your future!

It is fairly common for ponduit to be damaged during backfill, compaction, etc. This is particularily true when the pipe was installed by non-electricians, not buried deep enough, clean fill was not used, and the pavemant is subject to heavy traffic.

First I would sugest hooking up an air compressor. You might blow the blockage free. You certainly ought to be able to hear the air exit the pipe.

If you haven't done it already, trace out the line, marking the pavement as you go along. It is possible that there is a buried splice box. (See "A well buried box" in the picture forum).

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
R
You could try some of this . There is also a cable removal puller that puts a tension on the cable and then vibrates it to break it loose. I don't know who makes it. I remember reading about it a few years ago.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R
I've also had some luck hooking a fire hose to one end of the conduit and letting it flush out the silt. This will only work if you have a place to let the water and silt run out on one end. When I did it, we flushed from inside of the building out to a manhole and then pumped out the manhole.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
S
Two words

Back hoe

L
LK Offline
If we installed the conduits like the utility does, there would be no problem, OVERSIZED, but usually when a contractor does the job, what is the smallest i can get away with, switchgear to vault, is usually oversized, and can be pulled.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 09-02-2006).]

S
A 4" conduit with 350 mcm in it should come out.Get a choker and some muscle.

Not to be cliche, but,

"Dynamite! TNT! Things that go boom! PBX! (Plastic Bonded Explosive, thanks Alan B! [Linked Image]) All that fun stuff that's illegal for good reason but we have around anyways!

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard