ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 533 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
skipr Offline OP
The school was built in 1963, part the conduit run goes under the building, and all of it goes under concrete foundation. Being a California K12 school they are trying to go cheap. I am not the contractor doing the new modernization. I'm the one who has to go from school to school and fix what the contractors have screwed up. I have tried the 2 ton chain pull come-a-long, I have forced water and soap mixture down the condiut. All the (six) other conduits cleared easy.Looks like im going to tell them to go overhead.

B
How bout a Jeep? [Linked Image]

E
e57 Offline
Been a few liquifaction quakes the 60's - maybe the building settled on it?

Give a tugger a shot one conductor at a time yet? Sometimes it works if you can get one to go, you can get the rest out.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I once had to remove 4-750MCM Al that had burned a termination and welded themselves to the inside of a PVC oonduit. The run was about 375', and 20'or so was welded.
We had 2 service trucks and a Ford tractor hooked up, and couldn't break it loose.

A young guy came by leading an elephant. He saw our dilemna and offered to help. "She loves to pull, and will work for peanuts".
She showed almost no strain whatsoever as she just walked away with the feeder in tow.

In the absence of an elephant, you might try the truck and a chain.

R
Use a good sized digger on heavy tracks.

If no luck you may have to dig the trench out.
It is very likely that the conduit is broken somewhere and filled up with debris hence the cables are stuck.

or ?

a hidden junction or repair was done in the past in open soil and backfilled which makes it almost impossible to get the cable out.

Please let us know what the outcome is.

Thanks

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
R
I've used Line Trucks, Trac Hoes, Wreckers, and Cranes in pulling out old feeders.

Roger

I
I am with Roger and RODALCO I would not give up until I actually broke the conductors.

I would cut each end of the raceway back as close to where it goes underground (without cutting the conductors) than I would prefer a large (5 ton) at least chain fall to start the pulling.

But heavy equipment if available is always helpful.

The last all terrain folk lift I rented had a draw bar rating of just under 20,000 Lbs.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
If no luck you may have to dig the trench out.
It is very likely that the conduit is broken somewhere and filled up with debris hence the cables are stuck.

If you want to know if this has happened, do what Don said, and go grab a firehose. If the conduit's broken, you'll see a geyser. If there's a box underground, you'll probably see water bubbling up as it exits the box and creeps up.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 09-03-2006).]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
T
put a sign out front, the copper thieves will have it out before sunrise!!!

I
[Linked Image] LOL

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard