ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
jkraft Offline OP
Does anyone know which if any states recognize the licenses issued by others?

The State of Michigan has issued me both a master electrician as well as an electrical contractors license.

Are these licenses valid in CA or AZ?

R
Go HERE and click on a state for the licensing and reciprosity info. It doesn't look good for Michigan license holders though.

Roger

A Master's License won't do you much good in CA.....There is no Master's Classification here.

Although there's no reciprocal agreement with MI, your contractors license should serve as proof of experience to take and of course pay for the CA C-10 Contractor's Exam and license.
You'll also need to post a $10K bond.

J
jkraft Offline OP
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I've been curious about this since I met a union journeyman from Ohio. His license is issued by the local union hall, not the state. He travels all over the country, signs the book at the hall, and gets a job fairly quickly. He just goes wherever the work is.

Joe

M
Joe-
Lots of that goes on but, as I'm sure you know, his "license" is no good here in Michigan. Even if it were a state issued license, we have no reciprocity with any other states (which is pretty much why nobody else honors ours). So if he doesn't hold an apprentice registration, a journeyman's license, or a master's license he can't legally work here. Some states don't require all of the electricians on the job to be licensed. The contractor's license covers all of the employees.

We're talking about apples and oranges.
Your friend from Ohio cannot come to work for a contractor in California without first passing the California Journeyman's Certification. There is no reciprocity, and he will not get a job through the IBEW in CA until he gets it.
This is a totally separate thing from a Contractor's License here. There are quite a few threads here on the forum about the Journeyman's Cert.

Link Copied to Clipboard