ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#69043 08/25/06 08:49 AM
M
Came up with a question on a generator/transfer switch installation that we see frequently in this area. The contractor used a Reliance PB30 flanged inlet (125/250V, 3-Pole 4-Wire Grounding) with a hinged, gasketed, weatherproof cover for the generator connection to the transfer switch. Makes for a nice set-up. In discussing the installation with the contractor, I wondered whether or not the flanged inlet would require a cover which was weathertight while in use per 406.8(B)(2)(a) (2002 Code). After thinking it over for a while, I don't think it does. A flanged inlet is not a receptacle and U.L. lists them under Attachment Plugs. So, my thinking is that 406.8(B)(2)(a) doesn't apply. Am I thinking correctly on this one, or am I missing something?

#69044 08/25/06 09:17 PM
E
e57 Offline
Good one....
I think it is pretty clear IMO that the receptical (in this case on the end of a cord) would need to be weather proof while in use, (in a "wet" location) as it would be unattended while in use, and especially as it would often be in use in inclimate weather. (Storm = power outage)

If it were a "damp" location, I think it would be OK..... But would preffer a pin and sleeve connector over that one either way, as most are wheather proof anyway, and can have a weather proof cover for the cord cap. Not to mention a much better connection for this application. (i.e. "first make - last break" ground and neutral)

(Commentary)
406.8(2) Other Receptacles. All other receptacles installed in a wet location shall comply with (a) or (b):
(a) A receptacle installed in a wet location where the product intended to be plugged into it is not attended while in use (e.g., sprinkler system controller, landscape lighting, holiday lights, and so forth) shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof with the attachment plug cap inserted or removed.
Section 406.8(B)(2)(a) applies to receptacles other than those rated 15 and 20 amperes, 125- and 250-volt, that supply cord-and-plug-connected equipment likely to be used outdoors or in a wet location for long periods of time. A portable pump motor is an example of such equipment. Receptacles for this application should remain weatherproof while they are in use.
(b) A receptacle installed in a wet location where the product intended to be plugged into it will be attended while in use (e.g., portable tools, and so forth) shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof when the attachment plug is removed.
Section 406.8(B)(2)(b) applies to receptacles other than those rated 15 and 20 amperes, 125- and 250-volt, that supply cord-and-plug-connected portable tools or other portable equipment likely to be used outdoors for a specific purpose and then removed.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard