ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
mxslick Offline OP
At the end of the first (transformer failure) video, you can just barely hear someone start saying "We need all available en-gines..."

As a note to that particular video, it was explained that the substation protection scheme had failed, due to a defective $5.00 fuseholder!! The fuseholder in question was a panel-mounted, "AGC" type.

The initial fault was believed to be a failed capacitor, and when the protection system didn't detect it, it evolved into the runaway arc welder in the video.

The transformer's oil began boiling, and about halfway through the clip you can see it venting from the overpressure valve and transformer's top. The oil then ignited into the fireball.

The flash and bang is the expulsion fuse on the transformer's primary finally blowing, killing the power.

The substation was a total loss.

I've heard different ideas as to the origin of the video, one of which said that this all took place near a fire station, another that it was behind a golf course, and another that it was behind a residential development. But it seems to be agreed that it was in the Miami/Dade area of Florida.

Anyone from that area able to confirm/provide more info?

Stupid should be painful.
mxslick Offline OP
Here's another, related video of power line faults during a storm....

HERE

Note the faults that occur to the right of the image near the end....my guess is that was a transformer letting go from the stresses of the arc faults. (You'll see orange glow, as opposed to the blue of the arcs.)

Stupid should be painful.
R
Cool shots !

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard