ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
WFO Offline
No apology necessary. It was a legitimate question that deserves discussion and I vented when I shouldn't have.
My apologies.

E
e57 Offline
Folks.
Lets get back on track here, this is not a political forum of any shape or form.

Keep the posts geared to direct electrical topics, not the pros and cons of Nukes, Conservation, the Power companies motives or actions etc.

Sorry Bob, but on topic of power outages, how can one avoid the root causes? Generation and transmision failure due to the lack of infrastructure - A now inadaquate infrastructure due to rising use and demand via a lack of conservation. It might sound political, but its the politics of the electrical industry that is the cause of the outages IMO. (Electrical politics [Linked Image] )

How many of us have helped customers skirt energy codes? (For states that have them)

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 08-06-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
Sorry Bob, but on topic of power outages, how can one avoid the root causes?

By not bringing up what each of us perceive to be the root cause.

We can say it was an overloaded feeder but we do not have to say the overload was caused by Ted Kennedy's beverage cooler. [Linked Image]

You know how it works, if we were to talk about politics, religion, etc. we would quickly have some heated debates that IMO will not help the purpose of an electrical forum.

This is just my opinion, I am not a moderator of this section.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Selfish I know; I'm trying hard to use less energy for anything but political reasons. I'm trying to save money to have more disposable income for me! (To squander on food and taxes!)

I don't know who 'Ken Lay' is, what he's been scheming and really couldn't care less. The more electricity goes up in price, the more I try to save. Poco's can only raise prices to the point where generating your own becomes viable. I foresee we in the West will suddenly catch the fad and go 'economy' mad. You will all be rushed off your feet wiring up photovoltaic panels properly, [ BTW, these latter have just appeared in a UK mass-market retail store, so expect to see lots of News Items about electrocuted DYI'ers falling off roofs! ], home windmills and geothermal heat pumps, etc..

Relax while you have the chance!

Alan

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article1207607.ece

ps. they reckon about US$16,000 for an average home to cut poco power use by 50%.
Here's their site: http://www.currys.co.uk/solarpower/index.html

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-06-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-06-2006).]

Wood work but can't!
E
e57 Offline
We can say it was an overloaded feeder but we do not have to say the overload was caused by Ted Kennedy's beverage cooler. [Linked Image]

ROTFL [Linked Image] Are you trying to say it pulls 50KVA?

I know what youre saying but dont see it as a red/blue or four horsemen item.

But seriously, a micro example would be putting a 30Ksq' office space on a 50A feeder because it works most of the time. And knowing full and well it wont work on monday mornings in the summer.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Either last year or 2004 there was a huge power outage on Seaside Island. The catch? It was the 4th of July. The city sued the POCO, and now you cant drive anywhere in Mercer, Burlington or Atlantic Counties without seeing new HV lines being installed. They also upped the feed to the island itself.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard