ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Cinner Offline OP
Can you share a neutral with three different single phase loads for example cccts 1,3,and 5 from a 3 phase load center? Lets say the the single loads are are three different receptacles. So can I pull a red, black and blue with one white wire to all threeand have each circuit share that neutral?

G
You didn't say "wye" but it is assumed from the description and yes that is done all the time. These days it is recomended that you use "super neutral" cable if you are not sure what the loads will be. If they end up being reactive the triplen harmonics add on the neutral ... but I think we have already said that in another thread.

Greg Fretwell
M
"Can you share a neutral with three different single phase loads for example cccts 1,3,and 5 from a 3 phase load center? Lets say the the single loads are are three different receptacles. So can I pull a red, black and blue with one white wire to all threeand have each circuit share that neutral?"

Yes you've created a 3 phase network. You would have to add a green wire if you really want to earn a gold star!

Cat Servant
Yes, you can. Thats what 'multiwire circuits' are all about.

That said, the devil is in the details. As I've mentioned before in this forum, sharing a neutral can make things easire for the electrician (fewer wires to pull)- but also allows a few more opportunities for Mr. Murphy to work his mischief.

The main precaution to take is to be absolutely certain that your neutral connections are rock-solid.

Link Copied to Clipboard