ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
I don't want Joe as an enemy.

E
If you follow Joe's advice also be ready for hoardes of angry neighbors with torches arriving at your front door...

T
"All's fair in love and war"... but Joe proves that war is more interesting.

S
Thanks for the laughs, Joe. I like your style and I'm with you on this one 100%.
I don't think I have ever hated a person more than the village idiot that lives next to me. A few years back he tried to give me problems about my van being parked on the boulevard. The city called me and said I have to move it, so I moved it to the street - only requirement is it has to be moved once every 24 hours. Since then, I bought a 14 foot cube van and it's now parked on my property, and conveniently blocks their view from their dining room window [Linked Image] . He's on a "disability pension" (I won't even go there) and I know he likes to sleep in, and since "quiet time" is from 11pm to 7am, we intentionally make lots of noise in the morning when we start at 7. I've even thought about putting a timer on on the stereo just outside my garage, tuning it in to some ethnic music station, and cranking the volume up loud enough for them to hear it on their patio which is about 15 feet away. Haven't done it yet, but that will be the next trick up my sleeve [Linked Image]

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
G
I guess it's a bit strange if someone's doing something to do someone else bad.

I think it is a waste of life to find out more and more tricks to make sy's neighbour angry.

Anyway, they'll move sooner or later, and then you can start over again, when this guy's possibly assimilated more or less to your and your family's lifestyle.

Neverending story. Just forget it.

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
G
The "get even" merntality seldom works, it only escalates a minor problem into a major one. You really do not want your late sleeping neighbor keeping you awake all night do you? Waking him up in the morning only makes him a little groggy while he is catching up on his Flintstones. If you are groggy at work you could get killed. Bear in mind if you are up and out at 7 you probably go to bed before "quiet time" starts.

Greg Fretwell
G
I wouldn't count on them moving. I've seen generations die in the same house. He could be planning to live there forever. People on disability feel very entitled, no reason for him to change when he can complain to the city.

J
JJM Offline
Silly me! I didn't take into account Redsky's financial and home situation concerning those "neighborly" tips, or maybe his house is new or otherwise in perfect shape not needing any major renovation. So here are some other low cost, legal, and highly effective tips:

When you're dealing with vermin like this neighbor, it is virtually guaranteed they suffer other anti-social and sub-human tendencies, like bigotry. You have a pool right? Perfect! If you're white and your neighborhood is white, extend an invitation for a small busload of African American, Hispanic, or Arabic inner city children for a day at your pool, complete with ice cream and refreshments. Play some ethnic music too. (I like your idea Sixer at 7AM with the timers, LOL!). What will it cost you? A box of popsicles: $7.99. Two gallons of ice cream: $9.99. A case of juice and soda: $6.99 each. Look on your neighbors face: PRICELESS! Not only will you be doing a good thing for the less fortunate, you'll really PO your neighbor. Win, win! And make sure you have item # 6 set up first (cameras) – very important, which I’ll explain next.

And really what is your neighbor going to do? If the neighbor makes so much as one racially disparaging remark (try to egg it on, like inviting them over), turn the video over to the local news stations and to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. If your neighbor files a complaint with the police or other agency, file a FOIA request to obtain such report and turn it over to Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. Then sit back and enjoy all the protests surrounding your neighbors house.

Do you own any guns? If not, buy some and make sure they’re registered if required by law – shotguns and hunting rifles usually do not need to be registered in most states, and license are not required. Again make sure you have #6 (cameras). Then pick a spot on your property with the best view for your neighbor to observe you dissembling, cleaning, polishing, and putting back together the guns… and do so with a slight grin on your face. Of course, you must do this in a non-threatening manner.

You see most of these people are SWINE and COWARDS, so if they see you have weapons, they’ll likely back off. But if they don’t and instead call the police – who likely won’t even respond to the call – in all likelihood your neighbor to lie or exaggerate to prompt the police to come out. If the police come out to you, be cooperative and respectful, and do not resist if they want to take you in (all the better). Now with the video evidence, you got your neighbor for filing a false report, where he or she can be prosecuted CRIMINALLY.

In summary, I do not know why people today can’t be civil, let alone neighborly. When I was a kid, neighbors were like extended family. Even now, a number of my neighbors have keys to my house, and I have keys to theirs… to feed pets if someone is away, turn off an false alarm, etc.

Yesterday, I checked on some elderly neighbors to see if they needed anything with all this heat, or if my wife could take them shopping or something, and I noticed on of them had a broken door bell button. So I went back home, got a new one, replaced it, and rang the bell. My neighbor was surprised to hear the side door bell ring because it was broken for a while, and I mentioned she has a new one now (of course no charge), and asked if she needed anything else.

Why can’t it be like this with everyone? The world would be a much nice place.

Joe

G
Even hinting that you are introducing guns into the conflict can cause you serious problems. It is called "brandishing" (automatic revocation of your concealed carry license among other things) and if this ever does precipitate into violence you could end up being the one in jail. Nothing brings the cops faster than "man with a gun" calls.
Remember your "crazy" neighbor may have a gun too.

If your neighbor is making you think this hard about getting even he already won the war. He can just sit back and watch you stew in your own juice, laughing his ass off. If it does escalate into this "blow up his stuff with a megger" stage he might just burn your truck and put you out of business for a while.

Greg Fretwell
E
Remember your neighbor might not limit himself to legal retaliation, what if he has some friends come, at 3:00 A.M., wearing ski masks, and they slash your tires, put a potato in your tailpipe, key your van and personal car's paintjob, then shoot out your cameras, your cars' windows, and throw some bricks through your first floor window? insurance might pay for most of it, but you'll lose time on whatever job you're working on, and your premiums will go up, retaliation might end in your neighbor leaving, or it might end with you sleepless at night looking out your bedroom window for vandals, with financial difficulties.

I agree with gfretwell, not a good idea, deal with this via normal routes, with an attorney, through the city.

Getting even is, IMO juvenile and will most likely not end well, the megger trick may end up with you paying for several grand of electronics, and may even land you in jail, your other neighbors will dislike you for waging this personal war at their expense.

JMO
-Will

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard