ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 402 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
LK Offline
Hal,

I went thru this, belive me the lawyer was the correct choice, as Bob noted, before it gets out of hand, and it can, at this point the neighbor is most likely romming the neighborhood with horror stories, the intervention of a third party will not only squelch this situation, but he will get advice on how to avoid any future problems.

Oh by the way, my neighbor from ell is gone, sold home shortley after his rain of terror in the neighborhood.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 07-30-2006).]

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks everyone.

I'm calling the township Monday AM.

I'll probably be OK as far as "no-impact" business, but my weekend has been upset... POOR ME!!

It is unfortunate that aggravated assault is a crime, or I would have had an enjoyable "Weekend Activity".

You know... Half a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 to get me "in the mood", a couple 18" pieces of copper 250 kcmil as an "helper", etc.

Anyway,
I may not NEED a lawyer yet, but I will keep my consultation, and pay for an "official" letter, or two. Money well spent, I believe.

C
I agree with Hal and Greg. Did the town actually say that you were violating a city ordinance or did they just inform you that someone complained? Hiring an attorney may be throwing money away. I have a couple of GC friends that have received letters from their city’s that a neighbor has complained about an illegal home business and their businesses need to be shutdown immediately. Both of them called the city departments that sent the letters to find out what the problem was. After explaining the type of business being done the city’s told them to ignore the letters. About a year later on of them received another letter from the city with the same complaint. They called and explained that they went through this a year ago were again told to ignore the letter. I think the city finds it much easier and cheaper to send a form letter and let you come to them to find out if there actually is a problem.

Curt

Curt Swartz
R
Wow I am sorry to hear about the problems with your neighbour... My boss runs his business out of his house as well but none of his neighbours complain as my boss owns the house on each side of him and basically got to " choose" his neighbours.... Yard backs onto a railway line with a tall fence so no one behind can see in to where the shop and parking "lot" is...

Sounds like you have one of them neighbours that likes to whine and squak about everything... just a PITA if you ask me..

A.D

G
Redsy ---

It is difficult to tell if you have a right to run a business from your house or not.

I suspect you are doing more than you admit.

Perhaps your truck with logo sitting in the front yard is not typical of the rest of the neighborhood.

Perhaps you make a lot of noise at 5am when you are going out.

---

I run a "home occupation" from my house. Businesses are not allowed.

U
Maybe I'm playing Devil's advocate here...

Supposing you worked for someone else and were issued a company service vehicle to take home with you. Surely you would not be running your own business, but you would have a considerable piece of advertising in the driveway.

I have noisy diesel-powered transportation and what could be termed an addiction, (or at least a particular gravitation) to less-than-pristine-condition vehicles. This is far more obvious to my neighbours than my self-employment venture. [Linked Image]

I think your neighbour just has an axe to grind, or maybe a touch of jealousy. Either way

R
Redsy Offline OP
George,

What is your basis for not believing me?
I have no reason to be deceptive on this site. I am looking for advice.

I don't do much from home.
I accept no deliveries, with an occasional (1-2 X month) exception of a standard van or pick-up truck drop-off. I have all materials delivered to the job.
The extent of my "home business" is a fax machine, computer that I share with my family, and a pick-up truck that leaves with me at 7:30 - 8:00 everyday.
There is no Homeowners association prohibiting work vehicles, and there are several self-employed neighbors doing as much, or more than me. Additionally, there are several other neighbors who work for contractors and they bring their vehicles home.
I have checked township ordinances, and I believe that I fit the "no-impact" rule.
Interestingly, nobody from the township came by to inspect before issuing the "cease & desist" order.
If they would have, there probably would have been no violation notice.

The problem is the pool.

Cat Servant
We used to say that a man's property was his, and let him do as he pleased. No more.

Now, it seems everyone except the owner has a 'right' to say how the property is used.

As for this being the "land of the free," we seem to delight in setting up deed restrictions, neighborhood councils, etc. for the express purpose of ensuring that nobody has any freedom!

As with the electric trade, you need to know the exact rule you're accused of violating. In Reno, even James Michener, writing a novel in the privacy of his home, would be in violation of the ordinance- as it is worded.

C
hey redsy, maybe he's just jealous because you have a pool & he doesn't.heck maybe ya need to invite him over for a barbecue.that way you could see what's bugging him. i agree with reno too,you couldn't put me in a subdivision, of course some of us have no choice.too many rules,people minding your buiss. as for me i live in the country with only a few people around , never had a complaint.except for a brother-n-laws wife once,the wild turkey or some jim beam would have been good.but like someone else said it's just not worth it!good luck & keep us posted!

R
Redsy Offline OP
reno,

I have a citation with the pertinent Township Code article.
I found the "no-impact" subsection in the same code section as the basic rule.
That is why I believe that if they investigated first, no citation would have been issued.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard