The story I heard on the news went a little like this: (Moneyline I think...)

They knew they had serious demand for several days, and at peak hours there may be a need to either shut down certain areas before they failed. But due to politics, they chose not to, as in the past they had been accused of shutting down poorer nieghborhoods as a sacrifice for richer ones, or more lucritive commercial districts. Something that did not go down well.... So they held thier breath in hopes that it would hold, and it didn't... Much like what happened several months back when the black-outs cascaded accros wide swaths of the grid starting in Ohio.

Apparently some politicial schmuck (Maybe in some PUC) had retorted that if they had made the changes he had suggested the last time this happened, they wouldn't have had a problem. The POCO's responce was that thier hands were tied on generation capacity and being albe to actually build any new distribution due to lack of capitol without rate increases. Which sounds likely, IMO. Shaft 'em to justify a nuke plant, and get 'em to pay through the nose as if thier were a shortage of available capital from thier end.... Sounds like Enrons "Dark-star" scam to me..... (purposely shutting down plants to drive the prices through the roof - a black-out or two to show that you mean buisiness - they have yet to be charged with that crime~) Just gearing up for rolling black-outs and 500% rate increases with this as justification. Let fear justify putting a crow-bar in your wallet. Extortion~ JMO

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-27-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason