ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#67652 07/15/06 11:36 AM
T
Sometimes you wonder how places have lasted as long as they have
Yup, definitely! Last Saturday I was invited to a party at a boat house near Vienna. Actually it was quite large (club house of a canoe club) and all wood construction, around 1920. It is a miracle in every regard that the house is still standing! Electrical: the wiring was a wild mix of modern (read: 1970s) cable, 1950s cable and cloth wire in conduit...
Gas: the pipes are probably very old, the appliances are 1970s and earlier. The kitchen has a vent-free (vents into the room air) gas water heater, the area of plank wall above the heater is lioned with asbestos panels...
Structural: a roof rafter is completely rotted through, the remaining section is jacked up with a tiny hydraulic car jack against the floor...
Let me put it this way: sitting up there on the second floor didn't feel comfortable!

#67653 07/15/06 08:35 PM
T
My parent's house (built 1927) back in Cedar Rapids was done by two guys my grandfather hired to do, you guessed it, carp work. Somewhere in there they re-did the wiring in most of the house (mind you, the house is >3k sf). I took a look at it recently, and the wiring is the current reason why I don't visit very often. There is a 50A breaker feeding a 25A self-fused furnce AND a general recept. circuit... There are too many unlabeled breakers to count... Most of the house has ungrounded but three-prong outlets (with ground conductor in the box)... From that I'm worried they never installed a ground rod for the house (I had no license, so I never went into the panel)... I found box after box overstuffed and missing covers in a ceiling-less basement (didn't even need to count wires)... Instead of drilling into the wall to install phone lines- they drilled into the floor, _ran them under the carpet_ and then to the wall jack ~3" AFF. Best of all (non-electric, though) is they installed a sump pump... on a house with a floating foundation. The whole house leans now...

Sorry for the long rant [Linked Image]

-Edit for clarification-
-Edit for another violation

-tj

[This message has been edited by trobb (edited 07-15-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard