ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#67615 07/10/06 05:02 PM
S
stevie Offline OP
So, basically it can be good job at present but since I am so young being an electrician could very well become a bad career to be in my life time(and likely sooner rather than later).

So I could find out that 10 years down the road my job security is declinining and salaries are falling due to immigrants willing to work for very little and electricians become less needed becuase of increased technology making it pluck and chuck.(And I assume that when you say pluck and chuck you mean that a lot of things don't get 'fixed' anymore and that instread they parts are just thrown out and replaced)

So I'm not getting the warm fuzzies. Sounds like I should stay away from the electrician field and if anything focus on electrical engineering if I can do it. And that in general the trades are becoming a dime a dozen.

Did I get that right?

[This message has been edited by stevie (edited 07-10-2006).]

#67616 07/10/06 05:28 PM
D
1.no, Tiger Woods caddie
2.no, Tiger Woods caddie
3. Sometimes demanding, sometimes boring. Same I suppose with all trades.
4. Depends on what side of the electrical industry you are talking about. The new construction resi market is flooded. The engineering side seems always in demand.
5. Cheap immagration labor is a concern for everyone in every field.
6. Not so, electronic techs are a dime a dozen, and there is no money in it long term. Everything is "pluck and chuck" maintenance now.
7.Sure, you can play with electricity anywhere in the world. stay away from rouge countries would be my advise.
8. No, I'd rather be a township greens keeper, with full benefits and free golf forever.

Only kidding about the golf stuff, it's a good trade. Better if you own the business.
Good luck......

#67617 07/10/06 06:01 PM
G
I will second Dnk's advice.
If you can do the college thing I would look at engineering. I do think these trade jobs are going to be scooped up by immigrants and all of the "technician" jobs really lost their luster in the early 80s when things became "pluck and chuck" (good one). We called it "swap til you drop" but there were more FRUs and less LEDs telling you which one was bad then. I was in the computer hardware biz and moved to the electrical side because it was more interesting.
If you can stick it out I would pack as much engineering credits in my pocket as I could and go from there. You might try some "wireman" work in a right to work state during the summer break, just to get some real world experience. I think the only people who are going to have good jobs in the future will be engineering or management but it is nice to have some field experience.

edit to remove the repeated redundency I said again.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 07-10-2006).]

Greg Fretwell
#67618 07/10/06 07:32 PM
S
stevie Offline OP
Crap, I meant to post a reply but edited my orginal post instead. AARRRGHHHHH

If anyone knows how to get back my original post I would appreciate it. Perhaps someone could look back in their internet history and pull up the original and copy and paste it into a new post? My computer is set up not to keep a history.

#67619 07/10/06 07:40 PM
M
Stevie,

there will never be enough good, qualified electricians. If you want to wire new houses and stop learning in 3 yrs, bad career choice.

if you are willing to learn everyday. to always tackle new problems and learn new skills. If you are not afraid of change. It could be a great career.

But it does require alot of effort on your part to reach to top of the field. Once you get there, you can (and probably will) do very well financially and personnaly.

However, it is a career that will only reward you if you love to do it.

Good luck.

#67620 07/10/06 07:44 PM
S
stevie Offline OP
Basically it said

1 If you could do it all over again would you still be an electrician? If not what career would you pick?
2 If you had a son would you encourage him to be an electrician or would you try to get him to go into something else?
3 How much demand is there for electricians?
4 Is there a lot of people going into the field?
5 Is there a danger that cheap labor from mexico would flood the market and lower salaries and benefits
6 Is being an electronic tech better than being an electrician?
7 I always wanted to work abroad. Would being an electrician allow me to do that?
8 Is being an electrician the best trade there is? If not what is?

I am 18 and will be going to college soon. I doubt that I am smart enough to cut it majoring in engineerin but who knows. I do know that I am not that interested in the typical 9-5 cubicle job. I am more interested in a career that gets me outside and is a bit physical. So I was looking at being an electrician as a career choice and was wondering if you guys could tell me if it's a good idea or not.

Thanks

#67621 07/10/06 08:16 PM
Cat Servant
Patience, patience, patience.... the world won't end on your shift!

The trade is expanding, and becoming more valuable, as electricity and electronics reach deeper into our lives. Getting your journeyman card is just the beginning.....

The electrical trade, more than any other trade, requires you to know toher trades, other construction types, and be able to thing. In many respects, the electrician IS the "expert;" engineers are but a 'related trade' when it comes to electricity.

Working abroad is a category all it's own. Our ways are considerably different, so a direct transfer of experience won't be possible. On the other hand, the big engineering firms (Fluor, Bechtel, etc.) tend to do their projects "our" way, and need qualified trades to supervise / instruct the locals.

In addition, the trade can prepare you for other work....as an inspector, plan reviewer, architect's assistant, maintenance department manager, contractor.

Looking back, if anything, I should have entered the trade sooner!

You'll soon learn that lots of folks are 'technicians' or 'installers' only while they wait their chance to become a "real" electrician.

#67622 07/10/06 08:43 PM
L
LK Offline
1 If you could do it all over again would you still be an electrician? If not what career would you pick?

Ans: Yes i would

2 If you had a son would you encourage him to be an electrician or would you try to get him to go into something else?

Ans: He is in, his third year, of the program.

3 How much demand is there for electricians?

Ans: Large demand for qualified electricians.

4 Is there a lot of people going into the field?

Ans: No, intrest in all the trades has gone down.

5 Is there a danger that cheap labor from mexico would flood the market and lower salaries and benefits

Ans: Skilled trades are not in the cheap labor group.

6 Is being an electronic tech better than being an electrician?

Ans: To be a top noch electrican, an understanding of both, is necessary today.

7 I always wanted to work abroad. Would being an electrician allow me to do that?

Ans: Yes the skills are portable.

8 Is being an electrician the best trade there is? If not what is?

Ans: Just ask a plumber!

The outlook for electricians. in the years to come are good, this includes well trained qualified electricians, not so good for production wireman, and those with limited experience.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 07-10-2006).]

#67623 07/10/06 08:50 PM
E
e57 Offline
1 Yes, and No.... Architecture maybe....
2 If I have one it will be his first job, in the very least - theres nothing like slaving for dad right?
3 ARE YOU KIDDING! My shop is short constantly, my last shop was short, my next shop will be short, there are not enough able-minded people out there! Too many people went into computer programing and other things like web design, now they are a dime a dozen - and Trades are short.
4 It seems not, between Electricians and plumbers, as well as every other blue collar trade, there is a shortage all the way around.
5 Not good to play the race card, I have worked with many fine Mexican Electricians, as well as Irish, German, French, Russian, Honduran, Philipino's, Chinese, Aussie, NZ, English - ALL with either Green Cards or citizenship. Although it is illegal to even ask, my former and current employer always do.... All well trained, And I'll say this and duck, most of the American born guys I have worked with lately can be quite lazy. It seems work ethic is a dying art here in my own/our country..... But thats another story. As far as illegals go, most end up in landscraping, roofing, framing or concrete and from what I can tell, for lack of interest of anyone else. I see that as the main problem. If you talk to people who do hire illegal, they'll tell it is not economic or without risk, many will say that they would even hire the Welfare to Work, homeless +/or druggies if they showed up to work and didn't steel from them. Believe it or not, most work hard, and get paid well....
6 Far less demand in electronics, as most things are made disposable due to planned obsolecense law, and the IC. It is often cheaper to replace than repair, but there is work in the field, although waning due to out-sourcing, and reasons like cheap shipping. An Electrician will never be out-sourced!
7 Have know many who have travelled the world doing it, so long as learning does not stop, we all do things a little differently....
8 Depends on what you feel is "Best"? I certainly would not say roofing... But many find satisfaction in cabinetry, and finish carpentry, like anything else, there is a high-end and low end to that type of work. Some people like Low Voltage, some High Voltage....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#67624 07/10/06 09:20 PM
R
Stevie, your first post is a thing that was, but is gone forever after you edited it. [Linked Image]

With that said, this is a great trade, I have been in it for 32 years (34 if I count some phone subcontractor work) and have continued to learn something new almost everyday, which is a big part of my enjoying this trade.

One thing that needs to be understood is that there is a difference between installers and ELECTRICIANS, what you end up being depends on your desire to go as far as you can or if you are just happy with a pay check on Friday afternoon and a basic understanding of wiring.

Some of the people I came up through the trade with have ended up working in Australia, Russia, Jamaica, Mexico, (made very very good money setting up industrial plants) Grand Cayman, and I'm sure I'm not hitting all of them, these are just the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Working in the field as a Superintendent was the best position there was IMO, I'm in management now (the last ten years) and miss the field terribly.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-10-2006).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard