ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
All this complaining, and we're missing the boat big time. I don't see anything in the way of switch plates on their site. Those no doubt could be equally critical, to the right ears. Imagine, the right magic switch plates installed in the listening room could richly enhance the listening experience by focusing luminuos aurora light enegry throughout the room. Only if you are in sufficient state of awareness tho - it's invisible to regular poor dumb peasants.

Price for the spectacluar visual enhancement - a mere $45 per plate, made of proprietary materials & methods (corbomite). We recommend a minimum of 2.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
N
Only if you are in sufficient state of awareness tho -

And exactly how much weed must one smoke to attain this level of awareness? [Linked Image]

Audiophools never fail to provide amusement. I always liked this one--a special paint which you apply to the chips in your CD player to provide a "tube-like" sound. [Linked Image]
http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator/default.htm

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 07-10-2006).]

G
There is something true about the tube like sound but you only get it with tubes (or some computer trick).
It is more of a case that some people like the particular type of distortion you get from tubes.
If we really wanted pure sound we wouldn't have those 10 channel mixer boards that let you pick the sound you like.

Greg Fretwell
E
e57 Offline
Tube-o-lator For our BBC watching friends its much like a "Posh Nosh" episode of 'Glorified Tripe with obligitory $500 bottle of wine vinager'
There must be a site that catologs this audio quackery, just for laughs?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
N
There is definitely a difference between "tube sound" and solid state. Caused by the differences in harmonics generated when the amplifiers are driven into clipping during program peaks. Differences in slew rate and damping factor also contribute. But this isn't something you are going to duplicate by smearing overpriced nail polish on a D/A converter chip. [Linked Image]

A pretty good article on the tube audio scene appeared in IEEE spectrum a while back:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/oct05/1640

If we really wanted pure sound we wouldn't have those 10 channel mixer boards that let you pick the sound you like.
Ditto that. I run (as an amateur hobbiest) a 24+ channel mixer, and we have multiple effects, sonic processors and EQ's to color the sound. Some of that is to correct for room accoustics, some just cause we like it.

Radar

N
To be fair, there IS a difference between the goals of CREATING music where mixer boards, reverb, guitar pedals, etc. are used to produce the desired effect, and REPRODUCING it, where the idea is to recreate what was recorded, without adding or removing anything present in the original signal.

An ideal playback system is completely flat in response, except for whatever equalization is used to adjust for room acoustics.

P
Never mind the switch and receptacle plates, you just have to get some of these for the best possible sound! [Linked Image]
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com...Product_Code=NOB_C37_C

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-11-2006).]

I'm telling you - we are in the wrong business.

P
For sure. All we have to do is get some of our own fancy-looking heatshrink made up with a pseudo-technical sounding name printed on it, and we could make a fortune!

Warning: You may want to pour yourself a triple brandy and sit down before looking at the prices on this link! [Linked Image]

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue26/acrolink_da6100.htm

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard