ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
Sometimes, I think a small four-wheel cart would help me do my job better. I can load up at the truck, wheel in to the building, up the elevatore, and keep it all together.

Now, your basic steel cart can be had for as little as $50. But, thinking to get a "nice" one, I went looking. I found carts with prices as high as $800! Now, there are all four-wheel carts, more or less 30" wide by 40" long by maybe 36" tall.

How much would you spend for such a cart?

I like the Rubbermaid® carts, they are more quiet, won't rust or loosen up, plus you can use it to make a concrete form for a pole base or a sidewalk or some other elegant idea.......
and I have no idea what they cost, but for something so useful I would spend...."about a hundred dollars",

" of course Judge Wapners on in five minutes"......

Tom
I
Second a nice quality plastic cart.

They are quiet and friendly to your customers walls and doors.

I have a rubber made food service cart. It is a great time saver on some jobs other times it stays home.

It is probably about $300

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
e57 Offline
Rubbermaid carts are pricey, or can be....

White cRap/Home Destructo (Supply), $300. Same cart at Office Creapo $150....

Shop around....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
e57 Offline
Oh, also, look into replacement casters, the ones that come with it aren't great for rough pavement (Broke one crossing street with full load of tools.) or sites where housekeeping is on stike.... Get some larger pneumatic tires for it... Make it look like a 4X4, and gets around the site much easier! i.e. cords on floor, other crap on floor, stop the others in its tracks, an extra $100 in some beefy tires makes a world of difference. Lemmie tell ya.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-02-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
N
nov Offline
milwaukee has some nice new carts
built very well and some nice extras like a pipe vice and wire rack http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tradetitan/index.html http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tradetitan/TradeTitanBrochure.pdf

Cat Servant
Sure, Nov.... who did you think wants $800?

I
It seems like we all are thinking of different uses.

Big carts with air tires and vices are great but for me they are bought by the shop and delivered to the job by our truck.

The one I was talking about above is my own and small enough to go in the van no problem.

I use it when doing small jobs in occupied commercial buildings. I put a holder on it that carries a six foot ladder vertical but low enough to clear doors.

The big metal carts can be rough on walls, glass doors etc.

So John what are you looking for?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
John, can you adapt any of these to your specific needs?
http://www.anytimeproducts.com/select/cartsselection.htm

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 07-02-2006).]

P
I have my doubts about the Milwaukee cart. If it really has a "pipe vise", it would violate the rule against having a vise on the job site.
The nice things about carts is that you can modify them. I actually have two carts. The first started out as a $50 Harbor Freight metal cart 2' wide. I flipped the top shelf over and added a slab of plywood which I stained and varnished. I drilled holes for a bench grinder, small drill press and [don't tell] vice. I added two big hooks for an extinction cord. I added a power strip. I added UniStrut brackets on the side to carry a yellow, 7' stepladder [ultimate height[. I upgraded the casters to big, 10" pneumatic tires. I don't recommend them because they slowly leak so you would need a bicycle pump.
The other one is a red, three shelf HF model I got on sale for $32 - $3 because the carton was damaged. But still usually only about ~$50. This one is only 16" wide but at least it fits in my vehicle. The only improvement was to add two big "Handy hooks" [$0.97 ea.] to the front for the extinction cord.
For rough, not yet civilized job sites, a hand truck would be a better choice along with a selection of milk crates and bungee cords.
~Peter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard