ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Any one check a restaraunt supply for a heavy duty bus cart?

M
I know that this sounds funny but for years I used a rubbermaid cart that I drug out of the trash. It is like the type that housekeepers use. It is light ,compact,plastic it will hold everything plus your tool pouch, 6' ladder and pipe benders without any modification plus it is stable enought to cut conduit on it. I loved mine and they seem to throw them away everywhere. When I took over as Facilities Director I found three discarded in janitors closets the first day.

M
Check this bad boy out !

Janitor Cart,8" Wheels,4" Casters,21-3/4"x46"x38-3/8",Gray
Janitor Cart,8 Wheels,4 Casters,21-3/4x46x38-3/8,Gray

Manufacturer: Rubbermaid

Manufacturer #: RUB617300GY

Janitor Cart offers a smooth, easy-to-clean surface. Designed with innovative features to improve staff efficiency: three shelves for supplies; hooks and holders for mop handles, broom handles and lobby dust pan; paper towel holder; zippered 25-gallon vinyl bag. Wire form holder keeps polyliner secure. Platform holds 32-gallon container or standard size buckets (not included). Nonmarking 8" rear wheels and 4" nonmarking casters. Replacement vinyl bag sold separately.

Click here for other options for Rubbermaid Janitor Cart w/Zipper Yellow Vinyl Bag

L
I think the rubbermaid carts are the way to go. They hold up great. You can pick one up on e-bay for 100 -150. Go to e-bay and do a search on " rubbermaid cart ".
We use the metal one from northern tool or harbor freight at work but they really don't hold up, It seems most of them the handles have pulled off and the bolts are always coming loose.

L
Hello Everyone! This is my first "2 cents" on the ECN.

Those rubbermaid carts are the best! Just like the one in that first pic e57 posted. They can make great wire reels too, by drilling holes in the legs and using 1/2 emt as your axle. Works esp well with the 500' spools. With every type of fitting, strap, anchor, or for whatever else on the top and bottom tables.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Welcome to ECN Luketrician,

hope you enjoy the place......

we;re up kinda early ??

Tom
P
The carts are a great way to go. They do save time and forgetfulness of missing parts back in the truck/shop. I only used one the last 3 years I was in business, I have no idea what kept me from using one sooner. If I went back into business, it would be one of my first purchases - right after my rocker. [Linked Image]

Two things to add to the rest of the great posts here.
1. try to keep the wheels clean if you are going into a carpeted office or home.

2. Having some kind of lockable area is a good idea, or at least some way to keep a closed space for small tools and such. When you go to the bathroom or just leave the cart for a short amount of time, your beautiful setup becomes someone elses gold mine. Things from open carts tend to disappear fast.

Pierre Belarge
Cat Servant
I really appreciate all the responses. I am simply amazed at all the options available! Dink, your link certainly had a few interesting ideas!

The simple cart e57 started thing off with sells for about $135. I like the idea of mounting wire spools between the legs.

The smaller three-shelf bus cart Iwire pictured has available trash and cutlery bins; all together, this would set you back about $350.

The Akro-Mills "Pro-cart" is interesting for a couple of reasons. First of all, it can carry bins of parts. Combine this with a bin organised truck, and there are possibilities! It also looks as if the Akro cart can be knocked down for transport. One of these carts, good to go, would set you back $350-400, depending on the bins chosen.

SO- Has anyone run out and spent the $750 that the Milwaukee cart (with wire caddies and pipe vise) will cost you?

I think I'll go to the other extreme, and start of with one of those $75 "little green wagon" garden carts you see at the home centers. They fold flat for transport, and I'm pretty sure I can make a work top that would sit on it.

Though, one thing that I saw got me thinking.... having a trash bin with the cart might be handy!

Besides transport, another factor in a cart is the weight of the cart itself. I was some carts that, empty, weighed nearly 200 pounds. That's a lot of cart to carry up a flight of stairs, or load into the truck!

Oh- as for the specialty carts:

The Rubbermaid "Ladder cart" sells for $575. However, I spent $250 for a five drawer tool cart of theirs, and it just didn't stand up. The wheels look pretty small as well.

A rolling shop desk, with drawers, sells for about $345. I had a similar item once; it was too wide to easily maneuver in aisles, the drawers were ineficiently sized, and- worst of all- the spot welds didn't survive much movement. So much for "portable."

The mesh security wagons look interesting. I was surprised to find that the mesh costs more than solid sheet metal sides. Theye are somewhat larger than that 'nursery wagon' I spoke of, and do not fold for transport.

In summary, unless you simply must have the Milwaukee behemoth, it looks like an acceptable cart calls for a $400 budget.

L
Thanks Togol,

I am on nightshift this weekend here at the plant, 7-7. Oh and another thing for those carts, anyone tried notching the top tray table? That way you have a firm place to use that hacksaw on conduit without it slidin every where. Hope I explained that ok.

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

G
[Linked Image from graphics.samsclub.com]
$50 at Sam's.

I think I'm going in this direction.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard