ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
If it really has a "pipe vise", it would violate the rule against having a vise on the job site.

You being serious or funny?

-Hal

I
I think he was making a joke.

I added a power strip.

Get rid of it if you work jobs that OSHA may show up on.

Plug strips are a violation on construction sites.

The UL listing specifically excludes the use of these on construction sites...go figure, a true temporary use and they are not allowed.

Yes I know lots of people use them, just keep in mind OSHA fines are not cheap.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
Great Link, Dink.....

That link shows a pretty broad assortment of carts, and I'm sure each of us could find a use for most of them.

Peter's extensive modifications of the cheap basic metal cart shows just how useful we can make these things. Togol and I-Wire, in endorsing plastic carts, pointed out some of the things you need to consider, that might not be obvious.

The Akro-Mills "ProCart," with bins, looks to be quite handy. The ability to quickly break it down for transport is a big plus. But is it worth $275?

Rubbermade makes a unique cart, that has provisions for carrying a ladder...for $420.

The Milwaukee seems to be the cats' meow.. but with a base price near $800, plus extra for the wire reels, vise, etc... that's a LOT of money?

So how much would you spend? $100? $300? More?

D
John, off the record here of course...

I'd get a plastic shopping cart, but I ain't telling you where I'd get it...

I
LOL

We have a customer that has about 300 super markets.

Their metal carts are very handy, they make great wire dispensers. [Linked Image]

You can fit a lot of rolls of THHN in them with some 1/2" EMT as axles.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
E
e57 Offline
For the record I'm talking about one of these guys...
[Linked Image from globalindustrial.com]
~$150....(Like I said the wheels aren't great, but replaceable.) If you're the handy type, and I think most of us are, you can add whatever you like to it.

But Bob, you're right, this is a shop item... But even as a one guy operation, a cart can make a world of difference in the way you work, so that it might be hard not to have one. When I changed shops I made sure they got one, and guys fight over who gets it..... I have my own hand-truck convertable cart. And for those in this discussion it's an option. This guy lives on top of my extention ladder on the roof.
~$250.... Sometimes I have to park blocks away from my site, and move my tools this way. Or for High-rises, there is no other way to get your stuff up. I load all my stuff into stackable plastic bins, and I'm on my way. Bungy a ladder to the handle side like this. No fumbling with the elevator door, etc. What its saved on labor moving stuff around is fanominal! Move 200 cans onto the job with ease....

Back to this Vise Prohibition... I have heard of this before, and seems to be in existance in some very small locale, and sounds like one of those anti-productivity rules, where tools that make it easier for you are banned by the shop. Like a concrete shop here, wont allow its workers to use tie wire with loops pre-made, or the twisting hook for them.

Edit links and pictures... Wouldn't work for some reason. And add other comments.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-03-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
reno,
I would think the Rubbermaid® while probably not cheap will take a little more rough handling than a metal cart, and therefore outlast it so you may actually be more frugal by spending more but spending it only once..

...so I am completely comfortable with you spending around $250 for one....heck get yourself two carts,

it's not my money after all........:^)

Tom
I
Mark I think you and I are more alike than not. [Linked Image]

This is close to my Rubber maid cart.

[img]http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/ObjectServer?table=Images&id=13657[/img]

Mine has only one handle and it is on the side so a piece of plywood will lay on it as a plan table / bench.

(ECN Member 'CT-Wireman' kept trying to use it on the job, I told him to get his own. [Linked Image])

I also have a convertible cart ($59 HD) that I added an 1/4" plywood deck onto.

[Linked Image from homedepot.com]

I also use plastic bins as shown below for all sorts of things.

I like these with the attached lids, very compact when empty and you never lose the lid.

[Linked Image from plastic-shipping-containers.com]

John I depending on the work you do I think even pricey ones can be worth it.

It's hit or mis, my plastic cart may go months untouched than it's used daily for months.

The convertible two wheeler is used a lot, well worth the money.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
This thread is going great!

Maybe we need another photo forum, just for pics of equipment we've all cobbled together!

Dink... ever wonder where old shopping carts go? Near me is a surplus yard that sells ones that have been replaced, or from stores that have closed, etc. I'm sure there's such a place near most of us. If nothing else, it might be fun to enter HD with a cart that says "Lowes" :-)

As for "shop equipment"... there's a bit of a difference in our perspectives. If I worked for the towns' largest EC, I'd have an equipment yard I could go fishing in. I am, like so many electricians, half of a two-man company. There just isn't that much difference between "personal" and "shop" when you're that small.

E
e57 Offline
Yep, Bob,

Them bins are $5 ea at Home Destructo, and practically disposable. I have 1 for plastic boxes, one for metal, one for phone LV parts, 1 1/4, and 2" RMC fittings, and several empty that get filled with stuff for each job, just throw it on the cart, drop on site, etc. Break one, who cares they're $5! Considering thier cost, they last for a while, but less hardy than thier more industrial cousins, like the ones you pictured at about $20.

Back to carts.... This is more like what I have done to my shops carts. (Less the doors) Believe me, getting around cluttered sites those tires help a lot!

Other cusomizations have been ladder hooks, EMT hangers by using 4" J-hangers on the side, and one of my former guys mounted his boom box to it. Getting one of those specialized Milwaukee carts is a great waste of mulla IMO.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-03-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard