ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
jayson Offline OP
Im looking to relocate to pensacola florida.can any one give me info on finding an electrical contractor that will help pay relocation costs thanks

E
I know there is a shortage of qualified electricians in the resort/beach communities. Try calling Mayer Electric Supply in the area (may be Panama City). They should be able to tell you who's hiring. A friend of mine (a Georgia based contractor) just gave up on working in Destin because they can't get enough help, so you should have no problem getting a job. Getting someone to pay for your move in advance may be a stretch, but Good Luck.

L
SE Florida is also experiencing an extreme shortage of electricians BUT I have never heard of any EC pay moving expenses down here for an electrician, department manager maybe.

I think the problem is that a lot of applicants swear they can do everything but when it cones down to it they can't, company then wasted a good amount of money on that person if they helped with their moving expenses.

S
How is it possible that there is a shortage of electricians in southeast Florida? I mean, who wouldn't want to work in Florida year round. No more snowstorms, freezing January mornings, broken heaters in the work trucks, etc. Why would it be bad to relocate?

R
The following article may be one reason to not relocate to FL. I remember when they made my family tie into the county water system even though we had a perfectly good well at the time.

Over development along with bad planning (of course noone associated with either one will admitt to either one) is a bad combination.

EPA May Ease Its Drinking Water Rules
By NEIL JOHNSON njohnson@tampatrib.com
Published: Jun 26, 2003

TAMPA
- Every day, 640 million gallons of sewage in Florida is injected deep underground, where it's supposed to stay far away from drinking water supplies.
But what goes down is coming up, migrating into portions of the aquifer that cities and counties tap for their water supplies, a violation of current federal regulations governing drinking water.

Officials from the federal Environmental Protection Agency were in Tampa on Wednesday to get public opinion about a controversial proposal to relax those rules and allow what's called deep-well injection of sewage to continue, even if the treated effluent is mixing with drinking water.

Changes are opposed by environmental groups, but utilities - mainly in South Florida - want the regulations altered. The change would apply only to Florida.

Although the vast majority of the injected sewage is in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, St. Petersburg uses that method to dispose of an average of 20 million gallons a day - about 3 percent of the state's total and almost exclusively during the rainy season when demand for its reclaimed water hits bottom.

Either of two changes the EPA is considering could cost the city's sewer customers dearly.

Patti Anderson, director of the city's utility department, told the EPA panel that St. Petersburg would have to spend $100 million to meet the changes.

That would cause the typical city sewer bill to rocket from $50 a month to $200, she said.

It also would force the city to dump the sewage now going underground into waterways that flow into Tampa Bay, Anderson said.

``That's going backward,'' she said.

Also, because there is no drinkable water left in the aquifer under St. Petersburg, the city should not be subject to rules that apply to drinking water portions of the aquifer, Anderson said.

But if the relaxed rules allow pollution of the Floridan Aquifer, the source for nearly all the state's drinking water, people far from the coastal cities will also pay because their water supplies would be fouled, said Scott Randolph, an attorney with the Legal Environmental Assistance Foundation.

``If those rules are changed to allow utilities to inject into the aquifer wherever they want, the rural communities will be hit by a hidden tax,'' he said.

Tampa resident Thelia Potter, a Sierra Club member, was astonished the federal agency was considering a change to its regulations.

``I'm here because I'm so shocked this issue is even here for discussion,'' she said.

But there were only a handful of others there to talk against the proposed changes.

Under its proposal, the EPA is considering two options. Both would allow utilities to inject sewage underground even if it migrates to where drinking water is withdrawn.

* Option 1 would let the wells operate but with more thorough treatment and disinfection of the wastewater first, and to do studies to prove the sewage is not harming drinking water supplies.

* Option 2 would let individual utilities do studies to show the water in the aquifer where the sewage was injected continued to meet drinking water standards. Also, all utilities would have to improve their treatment and disinfection by 2015 regardless of what the studies showed.

The final rule is expected to be adopted by December 2004.

Reporter Neil Johnson can be reached at (352) 544-5214.

Take it from a 5th generation Floridian that left in 89, it isn't paradise. [Linked Image]

A little snow really isn't a problem for me, and my mountain spring water is to die for. [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 07-07-2006).]

G
Anyone who lives downriver from a big city has the same situation with sewer plant effluent. Imagine how bad the water is in New Orleans.

The real reason we have a trade shortage is nobody wants to pay. Forget that fat union wage, the lead man here will make what a helper makes up north.

But it it doesn't snow

Greg Fretwell
S
What the average wage for an electrician with 15+ yrs experience, can work on his own, can lead a small crew, and works overtime and Saturdays for overtime pay. How much is a guy like that going to get offered in south Florida?

L
Shock, Shortage because nobody wants to work anymore plus a booming real estate market down here. I moved here from NJ 5 years ago and would not go back up there for any amount of money.

I make $21.34 an hour. 6 years in the trade and in a service department of a company that employs 80 or 90 sparkies, 8 of us being in service. The new construction side does a lot of condos, schools and hospitals, no new resi.

We all make the same in the department. If you were running a crew on the new construction side I'd think you'd make more. I like service, take home van, nobody usually bothers me.

We just hired another service guy from NJ, he was here on vacation and stopped in to check out the pay situation. He was only making $19 for a small contractor in Union County, he moved.

15 minute drive
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.martincountyfla.com/photos/B0025P-0136_small.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.martincountyfla.com/phototype.asp%3FiType%3D30&h=145&w=200&s z=5&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=qQqN4U05wImqWM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbathtub%2Breef%2B%2B%2Bflorida%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en -US [Linked Image]fficial_s%26sa%3DN

[This message has been edited by LoneGunman (edited 07-08-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard