ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
quote"What kind of abuse are you giving to burn out (more than one?) right angles?"

18" x 7/8" ship auger bits (dull I'm sure) thru rough cut large width beams repeatedly will pretty much do the trick after a while. In fairness it's only happened to me twice in 30 years. And I have also discovered something about hole-hogs. They have a tendency to grow legs if not carefully watched over.

Cat Servant
The most important thing to do is to have a clear idea as to what you are going to use the drill for. As computer geeks say, GIGO.

The "Hole Hawg" drill, and it's clones, have a couple of advantages. Besides having lots of power, the general shape allows them to fit between studs, and actually is well balanced, allowing pretty good control. The best part, however, is that the type of gearing used seems to prevent drilling forces to be transmitted back to you; this really helps with control- especially when the bit hits a nail.

The other drills have the advantages of fitting into tighter spaces, and being much easier to lug up a ladder. But, when the bit grabs, you're going for a ride!

When in doubt, or considering a new type of tool, my practice is to go to the local Cheap Import place and buy one. I use their POS to both proove the concept, and to learn which features are important to me. When the El Cheapo has done it's part, then I save up for a quality tool of the type I prefer.

L
All time favorite is Milwaukee right angle with the 30" extention....

Agreed! It's great for drilling vertically or horizontally overhead without a ladder, and down without bending, which is a real back-saver.

It's especially good for drilling up or down through the top or bottom plate, because you can tilt a short auger quite a bit back toward the inside of the building.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard