ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 394 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6693 01/09/02 11:12 PM
P
Can anybody supply with a wiring diagram for a dual zone hydronic heating/ a/c system? I am currently wiring a house where the GC volunteered my services (not part of my original estimate) to wire a heating a/c system. The system includes a standard boiler, a heat exchanger storage tank which I am assuming would require an Argo priority zone control... two air handlers, one for the first floor and one in the attic for the second floor, two condensers... uhh... two thermostats... two strap on aquastats I would assume to control water temperature to the coils in the air handlers...

I have no idea how to wire this. The plumber installed the boiler but didn't bother to leave me a control... the A/C guy says the wiring was not part of his original estimate as the GC basically told him, don't worry about it, my electrician will wire it, but of course he didn't bother to discus any of it with me beforehand... My original estimate included only a standard boiler or about one or two hours work... and since I am concerned that this will ultimately make me responsible if there were to be any defects in the system (such as air handlers that don't function properly, or controls that just burn up)it is something that I would normally turn down. I mean hey if I wanted to do air conditioning wring I would be doing it right?

But I have been unable to get any information at my local plumbing supply, unable to get much from the A/C guy, etc. and am at somewhat of a loss... Any help?

#6694 01/09/02 11:27 PM
M
There are alot of ways to do this. It depends on what type of thermostat, does the t-stat automatically lock out heat or ac when the other is running or do you have to provide for this? Do you have the proper boiler control to allow one boiler to serve two zones? Is the boiler control included? Any extras like air dampers? Carrier, York, Trane, depending on the features built in all get wired a little differently. If you're going to do this, get the installation manuals from all the makers first, get the T-stats that are recommended for the options you have or will install and you'll be able to figure out what to do. Of course, this is one of those areas where you'll spend three days doing what the HVAC guy could do in a morning. I'd let the GC hand this over to his heating contractor.

Link Copied to Clipboard