ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66833 06/20/06 11:08 AM
togol Offline OP
I recently started working in an Iron Foundry,
....had to test
......there are two maintenance classes.
Maint Tech I.........mechanic
Maint. Tech II........electrician

the company, which is part of a national Metals group, will hire ANYONE who scores 50%......needless to say, everybody WANTS to be an electrician....cuz the pay is $2/ hr. more.

about three weeks after I hire in ......Mr. Doofy walks in, passes the Mech. test and of course boldly announces ...that he "is gonna take the Elec. test, after he reads up on it ."

he almost passed......except for his score........SInce his second day he has been doing elec. work....forget about breakdowns and things like that...he has lights to hang!! and 1-1/2 ridgid to run and no one or the 855 can stop him........until he tried to tag along with me

here is a snapshot

me: the fan on this dryer is hitting the shroud.
Doofy: (wearing his shiny new company issued Fluke T5 ) ..
.......ok, I will change this big switch, and that motor coil....., PBs, Sel. switches, and the Readout Temperature Controller........can you spot his words?

TWO DAYS LATER........

Doofy: the Temp Controller is NG...it has no input..!
I think..... U STOOPID A.......THE FAN IS HITTING THE HOUSING

me: did you check the Thermocouple??
Doofy: ???????......... ( I point to it ) he says.."No, I didn't twist the wires together

me: "note to self" start watching CSI and then SHOOT this Idiot

Doofy: and it only blows hot air.....no matter where I put this switch.....

me: did you match cams with the old SS ?
Doofy: pointing at the SqD switch........I ain't real familiar with Allen-Bradley

me: So now that you have screwed this unit up, did you remember to fix the original problem??
Doofy: ( you could almost hear the shattering glass in his skull )...............I don't think it has a problem, it sounds like something bent the blades, but I put a chunk of steel under a corner and it's only real noisy when you shut it off....:cool

I can't even look at this clown ........so I throw my hands in the air and say...."YOU ARE THE STUPIDEST #$^^%£®´Îφ©Ó ALIVE, AND youneedtostay thehellawayfromme,
you ß??©?¶•´®†ç moron,

he went and cried..... that I yelled at him and made him feel shame

.......there are more episodes

P.S. his test score.......................14

Tom
#66834 06/20/06 01:19 PM
M
Pride goes out befor a fall. Let some people have enough rope and they will hang themselves just do not let them kill anyone in the process.

#66835 06/20/06 03:15 PM
togol Offline OP
the neat thing ..... his supervisor and leadman both insist he is an electrician, regardless of the test results, because Doofy "told them he is ".......and is not getting the $ for it......

cheap, dirty, and NOT qualified

Tom
#66836 06/20/06 11:08 PM
W
me: the fan on this dryer is hitting the shroud.
Doofy: (wearing his shiny new company issued Fluke T5 ) ..
.......ok, I will change this big switch, and that motor coil....

For some odd reason I would have thought to inspect the shroud and the blades on the fan and maybe the motor mounting to see what is out of physical position or bent. Then look for the power disconnect so I can shut it down before removing shroud and correcting the mechanical problem..... [Linked Image] I wouldn't have thought to mess with thermocouples or controllers to fix a fan blace hitting the shroud...

#66837 06/20/06 11:48 PM
E
e57 Offline
I started a new company about 8 months ago, and was given an Apprentice who started 9 months ago.

About 1 month ago, after reprimanding this guy (Sideshow Bob) for his lack of attention to detail in his make-up, and protection of finish, I get the I've been here longer than you diatribe.... Several new holes ripped in the proccess of letting him know I was his direct supervisor, (something he never quite got) and an education on how quick I can go from democratic to autocratic leadership, and the fact I have been in this trade 16 years longer than him just stopped that dead.

Last week he tells me he has learned so much from me.... I ask, like what? "Never question your judgement." He says. I say, "No, never not question my judgement - just never question my authority." Oh.....

Anyway, my point is that, even on equal standing rank to rank, etc, sometimes you need to draw a line in the sand, so to speak. The good news is that he wont come bragging about the garbage work he does until he's sure he can....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#66838 06/21/06 08:58 AM
togol Offline OP
wa2ise, ....I was going home, and he was just starting his shift, and I thought the clown was just being a clown

......but the next day proved me wrong !

Tom
#66839 06/21/06 09:02 AM
togol Offline OP
---------------------------------------------------------The good news is that he wont come bragging about the garbage work he does until he's sure he can....

-------------------------------------------------------

sorry, but he sure thinks his work is above average

Tom
#66840 06/21/06 10:16 AM
Cat Servant
Unfortunately, our schools these days are so full of "self esteem" and short on substance, completely uneducated kids are coming out, thinking they can 'figure anything out for themselves' and lacking any respect for the patience, and practice, required to master anything.

Navy vets will tell you that "boot camp" was largely an advanced course in "Pay attention to detail!" We all know, from experience, that those little details will come back and bite you. (As in, how many GFI probs trace back to an un-used receptacle screw not being tightened down?)

It sounds like the company has some management / supervision issues. It almost looks like this clown is trying for a management position :-)

First of all, the boss has to get his butt out of the office, and see the shop floor once in a while. He also needs to know something about fixing things.

Secondly, the 'new guys' need to be trained- and know that they're supposed to be learning, and not be instant experts. The experienced guys need to realise that they have a duty to teach, as well.

An iron foundry is a place filled with big stuff that will hurt you BAD, in a heartbeat. There is a lot to learn in that setting. I don't care what place you worked at before... foundries have their own unique challenges. Junior needs to get some respect for this, or he will become a statistic.

#66841 06/21/06 05:00 PM
togol Offline OP
reno,
this guys scores a 14, his supervisor..who left
for greener pastures two weeks ago, insisted that Doofy was a good electrican.....how he determined that must have something to do with chicken bones, incense, & Rum [Linked Image]

I am bewildered that anybody would let this maniac near the gear ...
Doofy doesn't respond to breakdowns for a reason..........HE knows he is incompetent, but still, is enjoying being able to pretend to be a sparky, since it keeps him away from a grease gun, and the electrical shop is a bit nicer.!

the few times that he has had to ....troubleshoot.... he has left a bigger problem for someone else to straighten out.
Doofy had to changeout an I-Line breaker for some additional lights
( 6 X 1000W MH Hi-bay ) he had installed......seems he overloaded the existing circuit, !!!
so he somehow determined that a bigger breaker would do the trick,
first,
take out a warm 25
.......throw it away
........... then, install a 50

this will be another episode in
the "Saga of Doofy 14 "

Tom
#66842 06/21/06 05:56 PM
Cat Servant
Jeez, I hate telling others to stick their necks out, BUT....

If this guy is half as bad as you describe, I would approach somebody in charge. There has to be someone, somewhere! Failing that, I'd march down to Personnel (or "Human Resources," or whatever silly thing they call it) and raise the issue with them. If they can't, or won't help.... it's time to leave.

Doofy is going to get someone hurt. No point in that 'somebody' being you. Just watch your back, as Doofy is likely to see a 2x4 in the parking lot as a solution- rather than more education!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard