ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66446 06/03/06 10:57 AM
A
It was mentioned a few days ago, (can't find it now,) that offset nipples are being used in weather proof (WP) hubs and that they do not have tapered threads so they leak.
I have seen them used for years with no problem, mostly I believe because they are used under another piece of equipment, i. e. meter socket or disconnect.
What I got to thinking about are all the services that use PVC and a threaded connector at the hub.
Have I been approving a whole generation of services, that use PVC with a connector going into a WP hub, that will fail ???
I have witnessed water coming through PVC service conduit but, assumed it was because the glue joints had leaked.
I need some input.
Alan-- Inspector--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
#66447 06/03/06 06:43 PM
R
If not using a "Myers Hub" or a sealing ring (which looks like a washer with a rubber gasket on the I.D., see link below) I believe any conduit joint will let water in at the point which it mounts to the enclosure.
As far as WP hubs, although the WP connector's threads are not tapered, the hubs might be. But anyway, the bottom of meter enclosures will let water escape and it should not accumulate.

BTW,
I know it is not a sealant, but I use Noalox to lubricate WP connector threads. It lets you engage more threads, and probably helps keep water out. After all, we are not talking about pressurized water lines.
http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=5264

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 06-03-2006).]

#66448 06/04/06 09:11 PM
A
John,
Thanks for the reply.
My concern is that the connectors for RNC are not tapered and as a result will allow water to get into the meter socket.
Conduit is supposed to drain but, why put a weather head on a riser if we want water to get into the pipe ?
Should RMC be the only permitted riser material because it has tapered threads ?
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.

Link Copied to Clipboard