ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Dragon, the direct answer is that you may run to the rod first, as long as the entire run is sized for the largest wire size needed.

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 06-01-2006).]

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
R
Ryan, the actual wording is "shall be permitted" not "must be"

D) Metal Underground Water Pipe Where used as a grounding electrode, metal underground water pipe shall meet the requirements of 250.53(D)(1) and (D)(2).
(1) Continuity Continuity of the grounding path or the bonding connection to interior piping shall not rely on water meters or filtering devices and similar equipment.
(2) Supplemental Electrode Required A metal underground water pipe shall be supplemented by an additional electrode of a type specified in 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(7). Where the supplemental electrode is a rod, pipe, or plate type, it shall comply with 250.56. The supplemental electrode shall be permitted to be bonded to the grounding electrode conductor, the grounded service-entrance conductor, the nonflexible grounded service raceway, or any grounded service enclosure.
Exception: The supplemental electrode shall be permitted to be bonded to the interior metal water piping at any convenient point as covered in 250.52(A)(1),

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 06-01-2006).]

S
[toe-mae-toe] [tuh-ma-toe]

D
drgnz23 Offline OP
okay ...but doesnt the ground need to be one continous run with no splices...currently i used 4 awg armored ground for the whole run

[This message has been edited by drgnz23 (edited 06-02-2006).]

R
drgnz23,
but doesnt the ground need to be one continous run
no, it doesn't as pertaining to the whole GES.

The Grounding Electrode Conductor must be continuous, (see the GEC in the diagram above) there are some exceptons though, see 250.64(C)

Notice in the graphic below from Mike Holts' Training Material that after the GEC (from panel to water pipe) all others are correctly called jumpers.

[Linked Image from mikeholt.com]

Another point of interest is 250.64(F)

Shocking, where your pronunciation of mater may be different than mine, they refer to the same thing.

However, "Shall be Permitted" does not have the same meaning as "Must" or "Shall be".

"Shall be Permitted" is allowing you to do something whereas "Must" and "Shall be" would be instructing or ordering you to do something.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 06-02-2006).]

R
Roger,
I'll buy that. Thanks [Linked Image]

Ryan

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
D
drgnz23 Offline OP
well boys it is up to the inspector....I failed for splices on my ground rod. He wants one continuos run..

Drgnz23:

Did you put two (2) conductors under one (1) acorn clamp??? Acorns are only 'approved' for one conductor! Most guys install the second acorn when they mess-up,

John

John
R
What did he reference for his reasoning?

Ask him why he thinks his way is better than those who spend countless hours of their lives participating in the code making process?

I would like to know, so please ask him to visit this thread and explain to us the next time you see him.

I won't hold my breath though. [Linked Image]

Roger

R
Although, if John's assumption is correct, forget my post above. [Linked Image]

Roger

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard