ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66316 05/29/06 07:46 PM
S
Since wire has gone out of sight, you who Do
pricing by the square foot, what do you get now. I don't usually do new homes that much now, but just wondering just in case I get one. I'm in NC, and our prices seem to be way lower than a lot of what you get. Our normal prices in my area were around $2.00 to 2.25 per square foot, but don't know what they would be now. I know square foot pricing is not the way to go, but in my area, that is all the contractors ask you. That is why I don't care to do new houses that much. The building contractors want you to do it for practically nothing, while they make all the money. Thanks for the input. I don't know in my area if anyone prices by the box etc. Thanks Steve

#66317 05/29/06 09:17 PM
L
LK Offline
"The building contractors want you to do it for practically nothing, while they make all the money."

And they will keep trying, until they find someone willing to the job.

#66318 05/29/06 10:48 PM
S
LK...So true. I charge "X" amount of dollars to install, supply, wire, and finish a potlite and bulb. The builder turns around and doubles my price to the buyer. Who is making all money here?

#66319 05/29/06 11:45 PM
E
Contractors in my area that use square foot pricing are telling me that they are charging about $2.75 per square foot up from $2.25. However, I have no way of knowing if this is enough to cover your costs.

I don't like to use this (Square Foot Pricing)as a pricing method myself, but I do use it as a qauge to make sure I am not missing anything.

Hope that info is useful!

#66320 05/30/06 05:44 PM
L
LK Offline
Sandro,

Don't feel bad, here they get the EC to put in an extra recess, for anywhere from $85 to 125, and they list the extra to the homeowner as $350.

Square foot, is ok for roofing, carpet, and many other building tasks, until the day we purchase electrical supplies by the square foot, and install wiring by the square foot, tell your supplier you would like 20 square of NM, or estimate installation on square foot, not on the type of construction or installition dificulty, it may be a way to check your estimate, but i would not want to rely on it for a firm price.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 05-30-2006).]

#66321 06/05/06 12:56 AM
T
I fully recognise that the GC 'steps on' our extras rather incredibly....

Such last minute extras are 'eye wash' to the ultimate buyer/owner. VERY visible and per SPECIFIC REQUEST making their unit semi-custom even if it is a tract house.

Our trade needs to stop looking and envying the GC. His only shot at getting extras dollars is on 'eye wash'. He is recovering all of his mistakes with our -- and others -- extras.

You and I cannot stop him from screwing up. Nor can we stop him from free riding on our work: the extras. Just get used to it. Don't get emmotional. This dynamic can never change. The GC will screw up... and will ALWAYS shift it to the subs. To do otherwise is to go out of business.

Just stick to your game plan. DO NOT LOOK AT THE GENERAL'S.

You are judged as a sub. That's it.

What the GC can mark your work up to is HIS BUSINESS. DO NOT GET SUCKED INTO IT.

Tesla

Link Copied to Clipboard