ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#65984 05/17/06 01:11 PM
C
I don't know if any of you can help me, but it's worth a try. In the past 6 months I've had four tv satellite receivers go out due to water in them. There's no sign of water anywhere except in the receivers (not the tv, ceiling or floor). Could it be possible that it's in the cable running from the dish to the tv? Thanks for your time!

#65985 05/17/06 01:30 PM
G
That is certainly possible. The jacket can carry water. Look at the connection at the dish and see if the connector is pointed up. See if you can rotate it so it points down. Put a weather boot on the cable with silicone grease in it. Put a drip loop in the cable so that it is higher than the end of the cable to act as a trap.
If this cable is really full of water I would think the picture quality would suffer.

Greg Fretwell
#65986 05/17/06 02:02 PM
W
I agree, that water inside the coax cable should make the signal weak and noisy. In any event, I'd replace the coax, and when installing the new coax, make the coax go up a foot or two at the antenna before it starts its run to the receiver. Also I'd use a female to female F connector splice connector as a block to any new water that gets in, to divert it from the receiver.

#65987 05/17/06 05:18 PM
L
LK Offline
No cable, should run from the dish to the receiver, the cable from the dish LNB must first go to the properly grounded protector, with a drip loop in the cable, then from the other side of the protector, with a drip loop, and only then, enter the home, and connect to the receiver.

We notice a lot of these handyman cable runs, where the protector is never installed, you can bet, the cable ends, are most likely not made up right either.

There are some good illustrations, on satellite installs, that describes the proper installation.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 05-17-2006).]

#65988 05/17/06 07:42 PM
E
e57 Offline
I too will say drip loops must be there, and will add that choice of connectors and lack of rubber boots and silicone grease for proper installation could also be the culprit.

T&B snap-n-seal connectors or equivilent, or if you can't find the gasketed type, rubber boots will be needed. And all connections should be lubed with silicon grease reguardless. That would essentially water proof the install. Do it like that everytime, and no more call backs for water leaking out of the equipment....

Often I won't make any exposed connections at all, just run full length down to the equipment...

BTW, why are you poisoning the minds of people by installing SATV. I really hope you are providing them with the proper sized tin foil hat to go with it? [Linked Image] BRaiNWavEs from MLB.....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#65989 05/17/06 08:10 PM
S
I agree with e-57. Rubber boots and silicone. The connection must be good so that no rain can enter the system. With rubber boots and silicone I never had a problem with water. Proper insallation is the key.

#65990 05/18/06 02:01 AM
Cindylou101,
I have to agree with all of the above comments.
Coaxial cable is a funny thing, if not sealed properly, moisture from the air can move up the cable by mere capillary effect.
On any outdoor connectors I use 3M self-amalgamating tape as well as a drip loop.
This is your first defence against moisture.
One other thing, that can tell you if there has been water under the jacket is the fact that the coaxial screening will turn white and there will be a slight powdery residue at the entry point.

Link Copied to Clipboard