ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#65656 05/09/06 07:49 PM
B
BigJohn Offline OP
So here's one: Between the drywall guys and their roto-zips and the helpers who can't remember the 6" rule, we've been finding an awful lot of really short wires when it comes time to trim out houses.

Barring obvious alternatives like trying to pull extra slack, my usual solution is to simply add a pig-tail to the short section of wire, making it long enough to work with.

In addition to being a code violation, if I find several wires nicked in a small box, the extra wire-nuts can crowd things up fast.

I'd love to use some sort of non-reversable splice on these wires, but I'm none-to-comfortable with the idea of using something like a butt-splice. Seems like those things are best with LV.

I can't be the only one who runs into this problem, how do ya'll solve it?

-John

#65657 05/09/06 08:02 PM
J
I find that a connector like the Wagos or Ideal push-in connector work well even when the wires barely exit the cable sheath.

#65658 05/09/06 08:18 PM
E
e57 Offline
This was disscussed some time ago, but other than special cover for your opening to protect against rocker gashes, someone had a great idea... A handy box cover with a spike through it. Hard to rock over, easy to find, and equally hard to get a zip through... I don't use them, as most of the rocker crews are pretty good about not doing it to me, and jamb everything back before they start.

As for your own guys cutting too short, a good crack across the wrist with a pair of linemens aughta set 'em strait. [Linked Image] Most of my jobs I do line diagrams for, and often write the initials of who pulled and made up as I assign it. They check 'em off as they get done, and I check thier work. So if someone mis-wires a can, or has an open splice in one, the same guy can go back and fix his own mistake. Same can be said for outlets... That'll teach 'em.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#65659 05/09/06 09:20 PM
A
Easy. You just do everything in pipe.

You can pull wires after drywall and repull if needed. We use 4x4x1.5 min boxes unless it wont fit.

#65660 05/09/06 11:43 PM
B
I second the Wagos. I carry them just for that reason and they have saved the day more than once. As far as the butt splicers go, pulled a non working ceiling fan last week where they had butt spliced the neutral and it fell off. There was only 3/8" of wire but the pink wago worked fine.

#65661 05/10/06 03:31 AM
T
The secret to butt splices is having the right (racheting) crimp tool, and using the correct size crimp for the wire size.

#65662 05/10/06 06:21 AM
R
I thought smaller sized (#14-10, etc.)butt splices were for stranded wire only.

#65663 05/10/06 02:57 PM
J
JJM Offline
This is the reason why the code needs to be changed. Not sure of the code section off-hand, but slack unfortunately gets you red tagged.

I don't see why some slack or a loop is not permitted before boxes. If there was some slack, it would be no problem if the rockers did what they do best (damage our wires) -- just pull some of the slack in the box. Slack would also be nice if there's a last minute change for switch or receptacle locations.

I mean really, what's worse? Having a little bit of slack in the walls "just in case" or having to tape up and/or heatshrink damaged conductors, pig-tailing, having a box too tight from all the wirenuts? Code just doesn't make sense here.

Joe

#65664 05/10/06 04:15 PM
B
BigJohn Offline OP
...the same guy can go back and fix his own mistake.
I understand the idea but given what my guys' first attempt looks like, I'd be afraid to see what they did the second time around.

Techie, have you ever successfully used butt-splices on solid wire? Redsy pointed out they might only be for stranded, and I realised that's what makes me hesitant to use 'em: I've never seen any crimps for use on solid that small.
...But slack unfortunately gets you red tagged.
That is the only solution I've come up with so far; leave an "S" in the wire in front of each box so I have slack available if I need it. But I'm sure if I start doing that, I'll have someone crying at me about it. [Linked Image]

-John

#65665 05/10/06 05:37 PM
J
You could also try a product like this. They will send a free sample kit out to try.
www.StraightEdgeUSA.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard