ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6562 01/06/02 07:46 PM
B
Hi everyone!
I've been reading this site for about the last 6 months. It helps to keep me "current" on all things electrical.
Anyway, I've been thinking about going for my Masters license later this year. To give you a little background: I have had my journeymans license since July '01 and went through the 4 year IEC apprenticeship program/school (great!). In Colorado, you can test for the Masters after 1 year as a journeyman and signed off by the contractor you work for that you have experience in layout and design. I use to have an RW, worked commercial and industrial as well and now I primarily drive a service van for a facilities maint. shop.
Phew! anyway, I prefer learning the info I need through self study rather than cramming it into a 2 week course. I've heard good things about Mike Holt's courses but I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks for listening!
BrianSparky

#6563 01/06/02 09:44 PM
N
Hello From Colorado!!!!!

Speaking from my own expierience, the only real reasons for having your masters in Colorado is:
1.)Starting your own company
2.)Personal satisfaction

Most employers do not give more money for the masters over the journeyman.

Do you have the connections to start your own company? Are you just looking for personal satisfaction?

Just remember that being a master does not mean you know every thing!! Ask me, I don't know it all.(even though I act like it! hahaha!)

Best of luck,
Jon

Jon Niemeyer
#6564 01/07/02 06:57 AM
S
True...
the last co. i worked for told me
"A Master don't mean nuthin' to me" when i passed, having offered no incentive towards the goal.
Now i'm his competition.....

#6565 01/07/02 08:31 AM
R
hey sparky,
Did he have his masters?

#6566 01/07/02 12:29 PM
S
Brian, here in Washington we have what is called the Administrators license, which is about the same as your Masters. Our test is an 8 hour ordeal divided into four tests. Theory, state and federal regs, general knowledge, and electrical calculations. For the general and theory a journeymans test book works. For the regs you just have to study the books the state and feds provide. For the calculations I used Tom Henry's "Calculations for the electrical Exam". Stallcup and Holt's books are good also although Henry's book seemed to be somewhat, for me, easier to get a hold of. Do not buy the ARCO stuff as they are not well organized or written. Go over and over the books until you are getting 95% or so on the self exams. Then the test will not be too bad. Here in Washington only about a dozen people a year are able to pass the first time. So most people consider the first time a "throw away" to to learn what to expect. Good luck.
Don

Link Copied to Clipboard