ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
walrus Offline OP
I'm in the market for a hydraulic unit but can't justify 1300 or so bucks for a new unit. Was looking on EBAy and there are all kinds of them on there. I realize it would be used and there is some risk in that but I wouldn't be a heavy user, mostly 3/4 holes.
For those that have these units, what do you think??

B
Instead of the hydraulic units try Greenlee's ratchet-style sets. They work well up to 2 inch holes and there is no messy hydraulic oil to deal with.

Search Greenlee's site for the #1904 or 1906SB.

J
Greenlee has options for punching holes also besides hydraulic. Flip thru the link below to see some of them.

Try page 47 of this link to a PDF to see some carbide edge hole saws that are supposed to be faster and have a good lifespan.
http://www.greenlee.textron.com/cat_docs/Holemaking.pdf

F
I have a Greenlee Quickdraw straight that I use for holes 1/2"-2". There is no messy oil, never has leaked a drop. It is easy to use and takes up little space on the truck. I have a Greenlee 7646 set too that I bought on ebay for $300.00. It came with dies for 1/2"-2". It is a little easier to get the head into tight places the Quickdraw won't fit. It too is leak free and the only wear on the dies was on the 1/2" and 3/4" and they aren't very worn. It will also accomodate dies larger than 2" where the Quickdraw won't. I also bought a Greenlee 4 die set 2-1/2"-4" on ebay for $155.00 and other than the 2-1/2" die, I don't believe the set had been used at all. A bargain on a Greenlee punch can be had on ebay but you have to be patient. I decided on my max bid, only bid on items where Paypal was accepted and only bid on items that the seller had a high rating. It took about 1-1/2 months to get them bought for what I wanted to spend but it was worth it many times over. I had been using the Greenlee Slugbuster ratchet set for several years and it worked okay but for frequent use you can't beat a hydraulic set unless you can afford the battery powered one! Another place to shop for good reconditioned punch sets is U.S. Tool. Check out their site @ www.ustoolinc.com. I bought a reconditioned Greenlee 591 power fishing system last winter for about 1/2 the cost of new. It works like new and has a warranty.

J
I have the Greenlee ratchet set (1/2"-2") and use my cordless impact gun, makes a bit of a racket but its quick.

W
walrus Offline OP
One of things I've wrestled with is you can buy alot of hole saws for the money it takes to buy a hydraulic unit. Someone posted in another thread(Iwire? Rescapt19??) a brand name of a hole saw(carbide cutter) that body shops use. Anyone have a link or a name??

Going to Greenlees site is just going to TOYS R US for me [Linked Image]

T
I bought a Greenlee hydraulic set off of Ebay, and it works great.

If all that you are cutting are mainly 3/4", there is no need to get a hydraulic.
The only reason I bought it is because, we run a pile of 3" and 4" rigid.

T
Well you can buy a lot of hole saws for the cost of a hydraulic punch but there are some situations where space constraints don't allow the use of a holesaw bit and a drill. A guy in my shop scored 2 punch sets on ebay- one for himself and one for the shop. I have used it and its a great set. Don't use it for 3/4 much, but for 1" and over you can't beat them for speed and clean holes. I know a two inch holesaw is cheaper but why subject yourself to the abuse of trying to drill a hole that size through metal? I'de save the holcutter bits for drilling pilot holes for the hydraulic punch.

S
Walrus, Blair Holcutters are the rotary broaches you're thinking of.

http://www.autotoolmart.com has a 1/2"-2" set that was about $160 the last time I looked.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 05-05-2006).]

E
e57 Offline
I'll vouch for the carbide hole saws, but (As said...) there are places that you just can not get a hole saw, and the drill it is attached to, in safely. Like smaller panels....

Either way, there is no point of using an hydraulic for, or owning one for just 3/4" holes. Really there is no need for hydraulic until the >2 1/2" size, even then not totally nessesary. A KO set 1/2 - 2" with a ratchet will only run a ~$150 tops.... And will out pace hydraulic any time with the right monkey on the wrench.

But for heavey gage switchboards, the hole cutters are the way to go.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 05-05-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard