ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
With a norm about mechanical considerations and form factor it would be very possible to have any number of manufactures providing compatible breakers, panels, disconect cases, etc., etc., etc.

Joe.-

S
I think that you will find that American companies who are interested in that concept have actually adopted the DIN rail. It holds things just as well here as it does in Europe.

Square D makes their QO breakers in a DIN-mountable version, known as QOU. There are several companies who make DIN-mounted relays, terminal strips, and other assorted items.

Grab a copy of the DigiKey catalog, and you will see a fair number of DIN-mounted items.

G
I guess the question is really;
If all manufactures went to DIN Rail equipment, would they label it to allow other manufacturer's devices?

I want "probably not" in the office pool.

- veteran of the SqD/C-H wars

Greg Fretwell
I'm suprised that the US never took up the European DIN Rail mounting system.
Mind you the idea of having something European installed in America was probably the biggest stumbling block.
It uses Metric sizes, not the Imperial that most people are used to.
DIN Rail devices have been common-place here in New Zealand for years and are a lot easier to fit and replace.
The most commonly used "Top-Hat" for breakers and such gear is a bloody good idea.
"G" profile is distained by Industrial Electricians the country over, especially when you get them stupid terminal blocks fall off their rail when trying to tighten them.
Top-Hat is a lot more reliable, in that respect.

{Message edited to add further comments} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-05-2006).]

E
e57 Offline
Got several scraps of rail in the truck. They got a great selection of all kinds of handy items at Grainger. Telemecanique makes fantastic relays...... Did a bunch of fire doors with them last.

IMO there is no need for an "American version".... IEC, the standard association involved with the standard DIN rail, is "International".... Why re-invent another standard? Being one of if not the last country in the world to switch to the metric system is not going to do us much good in the long run either.
http://www.iec.ch/about/mission-e.htm

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
e57 Offline
"If all manufactures went to DIN Rail equipment, would they label it to allow other manufacturer's devices? "

If they allow the Standard, they don't have to.

So, I want "why not" in the office pool.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Sorry Mark,
Never saw you post. [Linked Image]

N
DIN rail is widely used in the US, but not in consumer/residential applications.

For building industrial control cabinets, it would be hard to work without it. Relays, power supplies, timers, terminal strips, etc. all mount on the stuff.

W
I've used DIN rails for control systems with point to point wiring. How would one make the equivalent of a US circuit breaker panelboard using DIN components?

Are there _standard_ ways to do bus bars, or do you use wire taps between some bus point and the circuit breaker line side? Is there anything the equivalent of 'bus stabs' as used in the US?

The DIN standard describes the mounting rail, but not device width, height, or depth. This means that breakers from different manufacturers would mount on the same rail, but would not necessarily match for a front panel, wire protection panels, or bus connection (if any).

-Jon

G
If you ever got involved in the SqD/C-H debacle you will see US manufacturers go out of their way to say you can only use their breakers in their panels on their labels. NEC 110.3(B) is used as the justification.
Personally I see this as pure marketing hype, with the same validation as the statement on a Lays potato chip bag that says these go best with a Pepsi but that is just one man's opinion.
The fact remains there are plenty of breakers that "fit" in other panels but that does not mean they are classified for them or even that an inspector has to honor classification if the label prohibits them.
This is a very muddy area.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard