ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#65467 05/05/06 07:02 AM
I
"Interesting you say it would be great if everything was standardised and then you say "American version"
What's wrong with using the same DIN rail the rest of the world uses?"

I think what was meant was "an American listing for DIN" not necessarily a US specific version [Linked Image]

#65468 05/05/06 07:43 AM
Yes, EU breakers, RCD devices etc. do all fit in the DIN rail ok, but that does not necessarily make them 'interchangeable'. I bought an ABB split consumer unit C/W some prefitted breakers and spare spaces at the local brico- [ pics on the way to another thread; see Wiring Horrors, Violation Forum]. The brico now only stocked LeGrande stuff, so I bought Legrande breakers for the extras I required. I also junked some of the ABB units, as they were cartridge fused, in favor of LeGrande units.
The actual internal heights at the busses varied by about 3/16", making the bus connections across the hots and neutrals a nightmare- the Legrande bus copper 'legs' I bought were too short for the ABB units. Luckily, the brico still had some spare ABB bus bars in stock to resolve the problem & they fitted the LeGrande units ok for the spans. Also, very slight variations in DIN rail attachment clip positions between makers, viz the panel apertures, made it impossible to get a neat alignment- yes, they all fitted but not absolutely parallel as I would have liked.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#65469 05/05/06 08:04 AM
P
Yep, the DIN rail is the norm in modern British panels, but there are still compatibility issues, even between different models of the same brand.

If you don't match up the breakers and the main switch (or RCD) for example, you can find that although all the units fit the rail perfectly, the heights of the terminals don't always align, so you can fit them to the busbar.

#65470 05/06/06 02:21 PM
D
Hey NJwirenut, I am an employee of the federal government working at a VA Hospital here in Denver and I bust my but every day for our Vets.

#65471 05/06/06 03:12 PM
G
Having visited a relative in France, and ending up fault finding a dodgy lighting circuit which was tripping the RCD, I was impressed with their double pole MCBs, which seemed to be the norm.
Makes fault finding so more easier than with the UK single pole ones !
What do other countries use?

#65472 05/07/06 06:25 PM
N
Hey NJwirenut, I am an employee of the federal government working at a VA Hospital here in Denver and I bust my but every day for our Vets.

Which would put you squarely in the category of "worker" as opposed to "in government". They might be your employer, but you aren't making policy, right?

My comment was more directed at the elected and appointed officials who eat from the public trough while contributing nothing to the society at large. Like the people who "support the troops" by cutting the VA budget, for instance....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard