ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
In case you missed it in your haste to get in here, here is the agreement:

If you agree to abide by our rules below, you should press the "Agree" button, which will enable you to register. If you do not agree, press the "Cancel" button.
*** Please understand that this Discussion Forum is meant for the benefit of those in the Electrical Trade and other related persons. Although related discussion by others may sometimes be permitted, questions of a How-To nature by untrained people (or DIYers) are not within the scope of this Forum and may be removed at our discretion. ***

Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB or any entity associated with this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

Although this BB does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at this BB reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this BB, Madrona Park, Inc. (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

We at this BB also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB.

{Message edited to highlight middle section}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-04-2006).]

Administrator
Liability issues aside, - generally speaking, answering questions from DIYers requires an extra amount of effort -

First, to correctly assess the situation from info given, then the skill and comprehension level of the person asking, and finally to include correct and all applicable information in a way they can understand it.

This is a tall order. We're not teachers here, and even if we were - quite honestly, doing this continually would become very tedious and annoying to many people here.

There are many websites that cater to the DIYer, this website is here to help people involved in, or somehow related to the Electrical Industry. This assumes that there is some basic understanding and/or skill level already reached, or in the case of apprentices (and others new to the field), that they also have other source(s) of instruction and information.

First off, a big thumbs up to the moderators for all of their hard work in keeping things under control here. [Linked Image]

There are many topics I have been involved in where the debate was quite lively, but never offensive or lowered to the level of personal insults or bashing. (Like the Shared neutrals and panels in bedrooms, for example.)

Whether the Webmaster or any of the moderators disagree or agree with someone's opinion has nothing to do with the way that this Forum is moderated, and never has.

That is very true!! If it weren't, most of my posts in the threads I mentioned would have been deleted! [Linked Image] We all have our methods and reasons and everyone here has shown nothing but respect for that fact, and a willingness to discuss the differences of opinion.

I have made a few mistakes in the past, one was using a slang word which here in the U.S. has no real meaning, but is vulgar elsewhere. My post was edited and I got a very polite email from the moderator letting me know that the word had an objectionable meaning. No problem and no offence taken.

In another thread I posed a reply in which I feel helped to start the replies down the wrong path, despite the intention of making up a new and funny acronym (which I didn't explain in the post, that was the biggest mistake.) Again, after looking things over, I would have done it differently given the chance to correct it.

To kain10, I respectfully suggest that you learn from all the information in this thread, and elsewhere on this site. There are a lot of good people here who are willing to help and would value your input to any of the discussions.

Keep in mind that when posting on any forum, we cannot see your face or hear your voice to be able to fully understand the meaning of what is said, so you (and I) must choose words carefully, using smilies when necessary [Linked Image] to help make clear what we're trying to say.

So jump back in, share your experiences with us and you will learn a lot here. I sure have!!

Thanks everyone for putting up with this long post! [Linked Image]

edited for spelling (as usual) [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 05-04-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.
Good post Tony!, [Linked Image]
I'm a Moderator at a few sites around the world and I must say that ECN is one of the most smoothly run sites of the lot.
That is mainly because the members are aware of the rules.
To back the Moderators up here, we don't really have to do a great deal, please, lets keep it that way, it makes ECN all that more enjoyable for everyone.
kain10,
I agree with the comments of mxslick, you can learn a LOT here, we have built up a HEAP of collective knowledge here and it still keeps flowing on in.
Normal everyday life is hard enough, we are not trying to make life any more difficult, who needs that?.
Not me. [Linked Image]

C
Liability issues aside, - generally speaking, answering questions from DIYers requires an extra amount of effort -

First, to correctly assess the situation from info given, then the skill and comprehension level of the person asking, and finally to include correct and all applicable information in a way they can understand it.

This is a tall order. We're not teachers here, and even if we were - quite honestly, doing this continually would become very tedious and annoying to many people here.

There are many websites that cater to the DIYer, this website is here to help people involved in, or somehow related to the Electrical Industry. This assumes that there is some basic understanding and/or skill level already reached, or in the case of apprentices (and others new to the field), that they also have other source(s) of instruction and information.

Which is why I will be going back to my corner. [Linked Image]

Proud Inventor of the Three Phase Light Bulb!
ctardi:

Please don't go off hiding in a corner. [Linked Image]

There are lots of areas of theoretical and practical discussions where you can participate. And you can always comment during existing threads at any time, keeping in mind the rules and guidelines of the forum.

And yes, there are some gray area questions where you may think it's a "DIY" type question, but I think the moderators will generally agree with me, you should ask anyways and if it's too far off track, you'll be notified.

As someone just finishing High School, you're to be commended for seeking out information in any form, that shows motivation and willingness to learn!!

The only really stupid question is often the unasked one. [Linked Image]

Best of luck to you!! [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
H
I come to this board because I have a like the fact that the people here are friendly to one another. We don't get people flaming you for posting a "dumb" question. I have been to other sites where the people will jump you for any little thing that gets them mad. Then the discussion gets heated and out of hand. I hope all the good people will stay here, talk nice, and be courtious to one another.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard