ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
I don't know if this topic has been covered but,

How do you (or your company policy) address your customers. First name. Mr./Mrs. Dr. ?

I find myself addressing Dr. (lastname) for Dr.'s I assume they prefer it. But then most customers by first name. I have also noticed my partner (almost afraid to use that term because of what it might suggest)/employee/previous owner of aquired company. I don't know if he realizes it, but he generally addresses wealthy people as Mr. or Mrs. and everyone else as by first name.

When I first started for my first boss at age 16, he insisted I address customers by their first name because he thought that brought us to same level, whatever that means. I personally think it was an ego issue of his own, but;

What do you guys do?

W
I think it should be Mr./Mrs. etc. it keeps it professional and business like.
I once called the tenant of a client and asked for Mr. **** he started telling me he is not interested. He told me afterwards the only people who call him Mr. are salespeople

B
My default setting is to "sir", "ma'am", and "miss" (some women really don't like being called "ma'am") everybody I'm not familiar with.

But depending on what rapport I have with a customer, I definitely might switch to calling a guy "brother" or "man" or something causal like that. Generally only do that if the customer is another blue-collar type.

Respect is reciprocal, though.

-John

L
LK Offline
"I think it should be Mr./Mrs. etc. it keeps it professional and business like "

For business, the above may be best.

I generally introduce myself - "Hi, I'm Scott"
If the customer introduces themself by their first name, that's what I will call them. If they introduce themself as "Mr/Ms/Dr, etc., that's what I'll call them.

Like BigJohn, my default goes to Sir or Ma'am, especially if they just grumble, and yes it seems most people do seem to prefer being called by their name.

I try to let them set the tone of formality.

E
e57 Offline
Sir/maam... Names get coplicated, and I often have to reinforce to people that I meet an average of 200 cusomers a year, and not to be offended if I forget their names.... (But I will remember 90% of the circuits installed in thier home or buisiness......)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
If a customer calls me and says "this is Mrs. Smith", then I will call her Mrs. Smith. If she calls and says "this is Jane Smith", then I will usually call her Jane. I make the assumption that if they let me know what their first name is, that it's ok to use it.

A doctor we're working at now insisted that we call him Rob, when I introduced him to my employees as Dr. SoAndSo.

But alternatively, if a customer really ticks me off, I call them other things. [Linked Image]

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
B
I'm hopeless at remembering names so I just call everyone noddy.

Link Copied to Clipboard