ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
A customer wants elecrtic baseboard heat in a screen room, but the walls have vinyl siding on the interior. I think the heat might melt the vinyl. Any thougths?

Thanks

I agree,

........I love the smell of burning Vinyl in the morning.....it smells like ........stupidity

Tom
R
Redsy Offline OP
I found installation instructions from tha Grainger website, and they don't wanted it mounted on vinyl wall paper.
Oh well, I guess they will need to replace the vinyl with drywall.
Thanks anyway.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 04-22-2006).]

C
It's not the BACK of the heater...it's the area ABOVE the heater that will see the most damage. (Heat rises - even in the new millenium [Linked Image] )

I do not think it's a very good idea to install an elec. BB heater on vinyl siding.

I also think the heat will be wasted in a screen room....poorly insulated (if at all)...ill fitting (window/screen)panels..etc.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
E
OR, one could place a heat shield behind the baseboard heater and a foot or so above. Metal, sheetrock, tile or cement board come to mind for acceptable material.

Earl
Anyone care to explain a 'screen room' to this ancient limey ignoramus? I imagined a 'cine-projector' room at first, but that can't be right from reading the later posts.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Cat Servant
I think that by "screen room," an enclosed, screened-in porch (or rear deck) is what is meant. Such a place would have the outer siding of the house as one of the walls; the others would probably be of minimal construction.

I also recently installed a heater on an open terrace. Somehow the whole idea of 'standing outside' while seeking shelter from the elements fails to make any sense to me!

In the case of the heater I installed, the instructions were quite explicit as to clearances expected in different mounting positions.

C
It's more of a "3-season porch" ....spring/summer/fall. You can opt for screens or glass depening on the weather.

Here's an inside look:
[Linked Image from leelanauproperty.com]

Notice the "exterior fixture" in the 1 O'clock position?
Classic tip off of a "spontaneous construction" event...if they had planned this out better (or even at all) they would have ditched that POS fixture....also, see any outlets around there...any lamps/overhead fixtures?

People will simply "enclose" a typically rear porch and call it a "3-season" or "screened".

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...

Link Copied to Clipboard