ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#64859 04/18/06 03:39 PM
S
sabrown Offline OP
I am working on the electrical design of a 10 person barracks in California (Nevada side) and I am wondering if I ought to be to cheap to buy a CEC 2004 based on the 2002 NEC. All of our projects are required to meet NEC 2005 no matter what California says, but I like to meet the local "hick" [Linked Image] codes anyway if they exceed the NEC. We also are required to meet ADAAG (Americans with Disabilities Act accessibilty Guidlines).

Is there anything that would prevent NMB used as a wiring method?

Are there any changes that are beyond code that I should be aware of that would affect a shared residence of this type?

E
e57 Offline
Is there a library nearby?
http://www.library.ca.gov/html/gps_cal3.cfm

Otherwise a 2002 NEC should do you quite well. However I would be more worried about part 6 of title-24, thats where things get wierd.... http://www.bsc.ca.gov/title_24/documents/T24Pt6.pdf

Other than meeting local codes for the State, you should be more aware that Cities, and Towns can add things in too.

"Is there anything that would prevent NMB used as a wiring method?" Building Type, and your bid spec'. "barracks" sounds Federal? CEC may or may not even apply, definately double check your bid spec'.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Naw, don't worry about them "hick" California Codes.

Just go ahead and design it like you like, and when you don't meet the energy code, you can do it over! [Linked Image]

You can get a copy of the California Energy Codes online for FREE That and a 2002 NEC should do it, unless you were too cheap to buy one of those, either.

BTW a ten person barracks is generally referred to as a shed or a tent, and doesn't really require a whole lot of engineering, does it?

E
e57 Offline
Most of my "barracks" were 2 man rooms in a 300 room 4 story hurricane/typoon/earthquake/fire proof concrete and steel version of a Holiday Inn. When I was on Base Maint. everything was spec'ed to have 50 year life span. Almost everything exposed was RMC... Far in excess of NEC.

I remember one open squadbay that had 50 people doing pull-ups on a feeder through the building in the rafters. I once heard that the goverment had a test for longevity of an item, they would leave said item in a room with a dozen Marines, and wait a day or so for them to take notice, and develop 20 ways to destroy it. [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Cat Servant
WHERE, pray tell, is the "Nevada side" of California?

The only real estate Nevada shares with California is the local landfill....where much of that state's great ideas belong!

S
sabrown Offline OP
Markleeville is on the Nevada side of California. Serviced by SPPCO, a Nevada based utility company.

Yes we are federal and the local codes do not apply, but like I said, I like to meet or exceed them anyway.

Thanks for the links but California Libraries are a good distance from Utah. The link to the energy code is greatly appreciated. I hope I won't be having any problems meeting and exceeding things within it. I can't see how it would be more restrictive than what we already do. At least I can avoid being blind sided.

As far as purchasing a $130 CEC, like everyone else, the government has gotten so tight that we are stragling ourselves. I just got word last week that my right hand (an electrician position that serves several states and saved the government tens of thousands of dollars per year) will not be refilled (I wish him the best in Japan).

With the Forest Service a facility with a few 10 person barracks is a large site. This site is already having a positive effect on local county facilities as a joint sewage plant and improved water system (needed for our fire flow requirements and sprinkling the barracks) are in the works. It always amazes me that everyones has different ideas of scale.

I will dust off the long retired 2002 NEC if I have any questions. I had to do that last fall when I was inspecting a new facility last fall that we had designed and built under the 2002 NEC.

Thanks again for all your replies, they are greatly appreciated.

S
sabrown Offline OP
Which of these two states have the "Great" ideas you are referring to? I can think of a lot of both states ideas that definately create landfills, came out of landfills, or belong in landfills.

Yet that can be said (and is by my wife, and she is a wonderful person, and I am not kidding) about some of my ideas and collections. What I have going for me (over these states) is my wife to keep my head on straighter.

Best of luck to you ! [Linked Image]

Just be thankful that the State Assembly bill for designing Feng Shui into your buildings didn't become a part of the CA Code.
That was one California idea that was SO bad, even the Californians wouldn't have anything to do with it [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard