ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
We will be doing a remodel on a house and will be useing a device ( Made in China) The romex is run into the box and we attach the wires to the receptacle and it snaps in to the box. No screws and the cover plate is the same way. Its a new product and would like to know if anyone has used this stuff. Its UL Rated and it seems it wouls save a lot of time and a lot easyer on the wrist. ANYONE?

E
I've got a box of the free rough in's of the stuff right now in the shop. We haven't used them yet and are waiting for a good job to try them on. I like the idea of the system, the only problem I see is the device quality on the trim. Only time will tell if it catches on and if it is high enough quality to use.

I did see a competitor of mine that has 30+ trucks doing tract homes leaving their shop every day this morning had these sample packs on every truck. Looks like today was the day to try them. We'll see if they liked them. They are bottom feeders, so if it saves time, they'll use 'em.

M
eagle,

no offense, but do you really want to consider them competitors?

They are bottom feeders, so if it saves time, they'll use 'em.

maybe just consider them another electrical contractor that provides a lower level of service and work than you do. But direct competitor?

S
Correct me if I am wrong but looking at http://www.cheetahspeed.com/cheetah_products_boxes.html
doesn't seem to me you can use any other type of devices but the cheetah.
What if u receive acall and need to replace this type of switch and or receptacle. Unless you stock them you need to possibly make 2 trips to the location.

L
according to cheetahs website under FAQ.
You can replace cheetah devices with standard devices . They also sell "speed anchors" to use in their boxes .
My only concerns would be quality of the devices and boxes and availability of the devices. If I were to use this system I think I would invest in those speed anchors just in case I can't get the cheetah devices and needed to use regular devices. That or order everything at once; the rough in boxes AND the devices/plates
Just my thoughts though

G
How much wiggle room do you have to get the devices level when the box gets mounted crooked?

Greg Fretwell
S
We nailed the boxes up today. I like the plastic wing that attaches to the box for support.Keeps the box from moveing side to side. Not much wiggle room if the box is crooked. Will let all of you know when the drywallis up and time to install the devices.

T
Looking at the FAQ, and the pictures, it looks like the devices actually do have screws, it's just that they ship with the speed anchors preinstalled. If you remove a device, you unscrew it, and have a choice of pushing the speed anchors out the back of the hole, and snapping in another cheeta device, or screwing in a regular device to the existing speed anchors..

S
This would be one helluva nightmare for the electrician or DIYer who didn't know about this system.

I know I'd be screaming a blue streak at something non-standard like this. [Linked Image]

G
I imagine this will all come down to the money. If your wiremen are making a big number an hour you can spend more for parts that make them go faster.
I doubt I will see many here.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard