ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
walrus Offline OP
Heres the deal, the latest and greatest in the gas pump world [Linked Image] is networking with Cat 5 back to the oil compaines POS network. There by allowing the gas pumps to continue accepting credit cards if the cash register goes down. My problem is conduits under the cabinet. I have one for AC, I have one for leak detection, can I use one for both the intercom and Cat 5 or do I have to have seperate pipes? You can mix voice and Data, why not data and intercom?? I have a call into the manufacturer, just wondered what you guys think. 4- 3/4 pipes to run a pump seems ridiculous to me. I could use shielded cables if interference is an issue?

R
I don't see any problems with mixing data and intercom wires in the same pipe. I am seeing alot of intercoms that are wired with CAT-5e cable now.

Chris

J
you should be fine, just to be safe you want to make sure you use the cable the intercom manufacturer says to use. Most of them want twisted solid cable, without shield. Aiphone intercoms will not work well at all if you use shielded cable.

E
e57 Offline
You might want to look into some of the spec's or even mock one up to see if there is any RF interferance between the two.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard