ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Mr. B., what size is it? It's good for audio/video and other low-voltage wiring.

i.e., I may be interested in it.

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 04-13-2006).]

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
B
Larry, it's 1/2". I think it would cost more to ship it to West Virginia than it's worth! I just keep it around thinking I'll need it someday. I thought about using it to fish multiple circuits across inaccessable attic crawl spaces during re wires. Also for bath fan combo units and evaporative (swamp)coolers. Heck, maybe I'll use it to wire up my new shop.

G
Smurf is good pretty much anywhere you can use Romex with the flexibility to retrofit different conductors. I have it in my house for those attic runs that I didn't want to be crawling around in insulation to make. You can push/throw it quite a ways in the 3:12 attics we have here where headroom is only a foot or two.

As a totally unrelated aside, this is pretty tough stuff. I know it is not listed for "outside" but I have some on my boat that has survived over a decade and a half in the Florida sun. 3/4" smurf is the perfect size to sleeve a steering cable and the cable inside still looks like it just came out of the box. I also split a short piece and installed it to protect me from "wild hairs" on the boat lift cables. That is still flexible too.

Like the Carlon RNC straps and conduit body covers, the older smurf connectors are NOT U/V protected but the tube itself seems to be.

Greg Fretwell
G
BTW have you noticed 362.10(1)(a) says "For exposed work, where not prohibited by 362.12" ...
and 362.12 points you back to 362.10

Greg Fretwell
C
Yeah, the Smurfs was a really stupid show!

Peter
O
I just used it last week on a remodel job in a bank. I felt like I was working with thin ice. But I agree it is easy to fish in, and super easy to cut. Reminds me of LT NON-metallic conduit.

J
I just looked into smurf (because of it being mentioned here before) for some low voltage sleeves on a resi remodel. I was quoted $.60 per ft for 1/2 from one supplier (nonstock) and around $390 per 500 from another supplier. 500'min.

I was floored that 1/2 steel flex was cheaper. What's the deal? What are some of you paying for this stuff?

B
that seems pretty high, are you sure you didn't say Smurnoff? [Linked Image]

Anyone noticed you can play music with it?
Just grip one end of a yard-ish long offcut, and swing it round like Tex Ritter [ showing my age agin! ] a-twirlin' his lariatt. The centripetal forces pump air down the smurf so it plays like a bugle- sets of fixed notes depending on the rpm. With a bit of practice you can play bugle stuff like the Last Post, Reveille or, for the really sophisticated, Beethoven's Fifth !

Alan

Wood work but can't!
U
mostly I hate getting cold-cocked in the face

That will change my mood for the day. [Linked Image]

Smurf is good pretty much anywhere you can use Romex with the flexibility to retrofit different conductors.

Agreed. Whenever I'm doing 'old work' stuff in my house I've fished in smurf (aka ENT in Canada) instead of romex. Not only does it let you add-on easily later, but it covers your butt if you missed something. [Linked Image]

I've used TONS of smurf on concrete construction - suspended slab and vertical. IMO, 3/4" is the smallest realistic size you should be using. 1/2" can be okay if used very sparingly or for very short runs. IMO, smurf requires more attention to securing it than it otherwise appears to require.

Running it through boxes, and/or not using connectors allows for more 'give' and actually decreases the number of lost pipes. Religious taping of cut ends and boxes helps too. Its the details like this that seperate a good slab from a bad one. [Linked Image]

Locally we are allowed to use in anywhere that's concealed - not just concrete. There are some derating conditions when in contact with insulation though.

So, no, I won't raise my hand for this topic. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard