ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 524 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#64626 04/12/06 04:26 PM
N
Anyone who thinks that drug testing promotes a quality workforce should look no further than your local Orange Box store.

They have a big sign near the entrance proudly proclaiming their "zero tolerance" drug testing policy, and judging from some of the employees giving advice there, giving them a few bonghits could only IMPROVE things. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 04-12-2006).]

#64627 04/12/06 04:38 PM
L
Mandatory random drug testing. We have a Zero tolerance policy. Test positive and bye-bye.

#64628 04/12/06 05:08 PM
I
NJ...LMAO. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#64629 04/12/06 05:22 PM
I
Reno I have to say that is a pretty strong post and I don't dispute your right to run your business as you see fit. [Linked Image]

That said where do you draw the line?

You must have some things you ignore or you are working alone.

This is odd thread for electrical forum I don't think their is a one size fits all answer.

The performance testing sounds like a more effective method to make a safer work environment. But that is not supported by the money savings drug testing is.

I can certainly understand why an employer wants to test.

I hope all the employers can see how insulting and intrusive it is to employees.

There are a lot of things employers would want from employees if it was a perfect world.

In an employers perfect world employees would;

Not have family commitments

Not get sick

Not have transportation issues

Work as many or as few hours as needed

Be ready to work at any moment

Not want raises.

Not get injured.

And of course not drink, smoke, drug etc.

But if you want to grow your shop you will be dealing with all of it.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#64630 04/12/06 05:31 PM
Bob: (Iwire)
Don't have enough time to read this whole thread now, but....
The Twp that I'm AHJ in has a MANDATORY drug test policy. Before you get hired; on their dime. On the job, if you get into any accident, motor vehicle (wether you are driving, parked, etc) or even stung by a bee; it's off to the local hospital for a drug test. Twp is unionized, and it's policy.

John

John
#64631 04/12/06 06:15 PM
S
I've never been asked to take a drug test in my 16 years in the trade. Never once. But I do like the idea of being asked just to see the persons reaction. I would say though, for the most part, employers in this trade are in need of people (especially younger people) who know the trade well enough and can work on their own so they might be willing to look the other way on this matter. If I was an employer, and I plan be one one day, I would only be concerned with production on the job and the professionalism of my employess. What they do on their time is their business, as long as it does not directly effect my business.

just my 2ยข

#64632 04/12/06 09:10 PM
E
e57 Offline
Slightly off topic, but I was thinking of this thread today... I work with a hypersensitive vegan who shys away from all but a rare green tea. I swear I want to hit him sometimes... And jam a steak down his throat, and force him to wash it down with Jolt cola. Work his butt off all day and feed him a beer. He's admittedly slow due to lack of substanial protein, tempermental due to low blood-suger, easily confused due to lack of ammino's. If steak and coffee were 'drugs' I would force feed him them all day. Would it be against the law to require him to snort the contents of a protein shake every morning? (Probhably not) But if food and drugs are so alike, I think some should be required.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#64633 04/12/06 10:33 PM
Cat Servant
I have to love all the strongly professed opinions this thread has brought out!

I seem to recall varions "legalise it" referendums failing by enormous margins. This suggests that recreational drug use is far from mainstream!

On another forum, I asked about hiring convicts- my last helper is currently a guest of the state- and every response was "Are you nuts? Never hire prooven crooks!"

The use of drug testing was prooven effective in the late '70's, when it played a major part in restoring our military. Such testing continues today...and no one can doubt the effectiveness of our forces!

Debating drug testing seem comparable to debating building inspections.... laws are meaningless with a means of enforcement. Why should the law-abiding tolerate any situation that gives advantage to the law-breaker?

And then.... legalities aside.... there remains the issue of character. I've seen enough examples to be persuaded that some folks are -quite unfairly- handicapped in the performance of their jobs simply because other folks, for some reason or another, have started gossip campaigns. Folks seem quite willing to judge others by all sorts of things that are absent from the lawbooks.

I really must doubt some of the claims made here of pot smoking.... the replies aren't mellow at all! :-)

#64634 04/12/06 11:26 PM
Wow!! What a thread!!

Here's my take on the situation:

First, I am firmly in the camp of what my employees do on thier time is indeed thier own business, and I don't care as long as it doesn't affect MY business. Any other stance smacks of invasion of privacy - do you care who your co-workers sleep with, for example?;

Drug testing IS an invasion of privacy, BUT: If it is disclosed during the hiring process then it is each person's right to either agree to testing or seek a job elsewhere with no recourse for punitive or discrimination claims; (I would not hesitate to work for a company who tells me that I would be subject to testing in advance of my hire-on.);

And yes, lack of sleep, emotional distress and fatigue are far bigger problems than off-duty drug use.

I know two individuals, one who smokes pot and can do his job well ONLY when he's had a hit or two (no, he's NOT an electrician) because he's hyperactive to the extreme otherwise. So far, in 20+ years, he's never had any complaints or issues because of his pot use. And he is highly regarded as one of the best in his field.

Another co-worker could knock back the beers with the best of them, but only after work. He was always on time, worked hard and never gave anyone problems.

Ironically (and probably not surprising) the movie production sets I've worked had rampant drug/alcohol use amongst the crew and some of the principal actors. [Linked Image]

As for the other types of issues that Reno brought up, see my first statement.

Would I hire an ex-con? If, upon interviewing that person, I felt they had done thier time and served thier sentence, and I felt reasonably comfortable around them, sure. They must of course dress and speak in a manner in line with my line of work. Image is everything.

Most of us, when we talk to or meet someone, can get a "vibe" if you will, which tells whether or not to trust them. That instinct which we all posses to a certain degree is very accurate. If you don't trust someone based on your instincts, chances are you're right.

Very interesting thoughts being tossed about here....

Stupid should be painful.
#64635 04/13/06 03:34 AM
E
e57 Offline
Reno, I'm not trying to pick an arguement, but in some areas of the country drug use is just about mainstream. Not that its a red/blue state thing, but to me it seems to encircle the country in coastal and border states. Even then, only a small percentage of the population actually votes ever. Most of the politally complacent are just as complacent about legalizing pot, but would draw the line there.

As for the military, when I got out in '94 testing was a joke and use in Pendelton in particular was rampant. And I'm not saying that as a discount to service or sacrifice, but it is true. Testing is just a waste of tax payer dollars, plain and simple, and only serves as a deterant to open use. People who I know smoked pot regularly, did LSD, extasacy, and even meth never got caught. Outside every base gate you can go to any head shop and pick up some goldenseal , or whizzinator or any number of comparable products. For that matter simply invalidate the test with a single grain of salt in the cup. Or as easy and simple as drinking a whole gallon of water before the test, all they get is water. Trufully it is even more telling when you see a major portion a unit show up for any formation with a gallon water jug each... People smirking and and saying things like, "gotta stay hydrated... ha, ha, ha" Hair samples are the only thing that worries anyone, and only a few things are detectable on them. And they are so expensive that it is rare that anyone would be subjected to one. Blood tests will only get you if you're on it right then for most things.

Anyway, the funniest incident I can remember was when hundreds of people, including high ranking Officers got busted due to Poppy Seed muffins from the Chow Hall. [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard