ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#64606 04/11/06 08:40 PM
R
Wait a minute, I hear a tune in the back of my memory banks---

... Don't bogart that joint, my friend, pass it around...

#64607 04/11/06 09:03 PM
N
[Linked Image from images.oldglory.com]

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 04-11-2006).]

#64608 04/11/06 09:14 PM
E
e57 Offline
I think everytime I have interviewed for a job. (I have heard this from other people too) I get asked in the interview if I would be opposed to taking a drug test, but they never get around to actually getting one done...

I think most employers just want to judge your reaction to the question.

My last answer was, "If your testing for Tobacco, Caffine and Scotch you can count me out." [Linked Image]

Putting on my employer/supervisor mindset... (simular to iwire and NJwirenut) My time is my time. Whats done on your time is none of my buisiness. But at work, you had better have you head strapped on tight. Booze - drugs - sleep - too much on your mind I dont care. "Once you step foot on the Bodie Plantation - you best set you mind to workin'" (No - I'm not a slave driver...) This is from a guy who can drink a fair bit at night - not prone to hangovers, smokes a pack a day, and has 64oz coffee mug. If you count that, I'm chemically dependant. All I want is my 8 hours out of you going forward, not reverse. But on the other hand, if you on something at the job, and I know - you're sacked! (I'm not above calling in with the 'Irish flu', and its not habit either.)

FYI I had a heroine addict working under me for about two years, I had no idea until he told me he needed to check into a rehab. Said he never did it on the job, I dont doubt him about it. (He did fantastic work - really! 100% attent to detail. Never missed a day of work - always on the ball.) Had a problem on his own time, and was honest with me and himself about - not much more you can ask for. If he didn't tell me, I would have never known. And I still give him good refferances, and I would hire him again no questions asked.

Edit to add, I have sacked someone for being high on the job, handed him his pay and never seen again.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 04-11-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#64609 04/11/06 09:20 PM
D
All together now.....

"we're two lost souls..... swimming in a fish bowl....year after year...

Ahhhh, the memories of Pink Floyd playing loud as hell across a set of Infinity studio monitors.....

What I'd pay to be young again...

Dnk...

#64610 04/11/06 09:21 PM
E
e57 Offline
Oh as for actual testing - about 10% of military personel - who get tested regularly are using someting in thier spare time. Tests have been beaten long ago.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#64611 04/11/06 09:56 PM
W
WFO Offline
Testing for drugs (and alcohol) at our company is mandatory for employment. If you don't like it, don't apply.

Any of the crew with DOT (commercial) licenses will take them randomly throughout their employment. Liability makes this a mute point.
If an employee fails a test, they have a certain amount of time to clean up and re-test (at their expense). If they pass the second test, they're good to go. Plenty fair in my book.

What you do on your own time IS your business until it endangers me or my crew. At that point, I don't give a good frog's fart for your rights or your excuses. I'd rather you went crying to your Civil Liberties Rep than I went to the burn ward.
IMHO

#64612 04/11/06 10:15 PM
N
If you do drugs that effect you on the job, I don't give a crap if you did them on your time or mine! Do the job 100% sober or find a new job!

Don't come in with a bad hangover, don't come in while your coming down, and don't come in after spending the night doing meth. If you stayed at the bar till 2:00am and went home to drink anouther sixer, don't come in. If you did meth on friday night through sunday morning, don't come in on monday. If you are smoking pot till 2:00am, I don't want to see you in the morning!!!

I have done all the above drugs to a major extreem, and any one of you that says it does not effect your work the day after is in denial and needs to seek profesional care.

If you need help all you have to do is e-mail me and I will do my best to find someone in your area. If you need anything at all just drop me a line, but do everyone you work with a favor and stay off the job site. Remember------- WE ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR EACH OTHER ON THE JOB SITE!!!!

(steping off soap box)

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
#64613 04/11/06 10:39 PM
T
I think when I was younger I had more of a "what you do on your time is your business" but as I get older, I have moved completely into Reno's camp, mainly because I don't like having to carry my own weight plus the weight of someone who showed up not prepared to work- makes my day twice as hard to pick up the slack for someone who didn't get a good nights sleep or is coming down off a night's partying. I'de just as soon send them home than work with "worthless" all day. Good workers don't party during the week and don't do anything that impairs their ability to perform work during the week. Drug tests don't bother me because it is just another filter to screen out the non-serious and worthless from the ranks. If you want to live that sort of life find another line of work like bartender or waiter.

#64614 04/11/06 11:00 PM
L
I agree with Reno and Trollog. We have urine test upon employment and if you have an accident in a company vehicle, im in total support of them.

As to the 4th and 5th amendments, As far as I know the Constitution applies to the government only, not private individuals or businesses. Plus they are not forcing you to take a drug test, you are free not to and they are free to hire someone else.

#64615 04/11/06 11:06 PM
G
I have been subject to drug testing most of my life but I never actually had to take one.
I do think it is a flawed concept as long as you can get a doctor to prescribe something stronger than street drugs.
Of course a guy can come to work every day with a hangover and he is immune from the laws.
These should be performance related issues. If you can't spot the guy who is at work loaded you are not managing your crew.
I do think being stoned at work is a "one strike and you are out" situation.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard