ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#64455 04/07/06 07:14 PM
A
adameby Offline OP
My home has several fuseboxes in different locations. The original knob and tube wiring (where accessable) has been replaced with two conductor wiring (no ground). Still kt in the ceilings though.

I would like to replace portions of the wiring with modern grounded wire which will allow me to use grounded receptacles.

The fusebox does not currently have an earth ground. Can I add a ground rod and a terminal strip (near the fusebox) to attach the ground wires for new wiring? Eventually, I would like to install a new 200amp service panel and then this would all go away. I was just wondering what my options were. Any thoughts on partially modernizing an old electrical service?

Adam

#64456 04/07/06 07:28 PM
Welcome to ECN. Your profile does not indicate if you are an electrician, but I offer the following:

Bite the bullet now, do the service upgrade, and rewire. Attempting to "add" a ground bar and a driven electrode is not a solution.

John

John
#64457 04/07/06 07:42 PM
A
adameby Offline OP
Thanks for the reply. I am not an electrician. Just an overly curious DIYer.

I was just hoping to squeeze a few more years out of the old service before I tackled that project.

Is it pretty common for the old fuseboxes to be ungrounded? I don't mind replacing the odd fuse from time to time but I would like to have properly grounded outlets.

#64458 04/07/06 08:28 PM
S
If you want properly grounded receptacles, the k&t in existing locations will obviously have to be rewired.

Updating your service should only be done by a qualified electrician. A service upgrade is no job for a homeowner simply because there is alot you need to know before jumping into it, like the proper size GEC for a 200amp service. Do you know what that is? Do you know if there are any multiwire branch circuits, and do you know how to properly install them onto the bussbar?

The last thing you want to do is start a project like this and still be in the dark with no power well after it's already dark again.

just my opinion.

#64459 04/07/06 08:51 PM
Administrator
Adam,

Sorry, but the best and only advice we can give you here is to have a knowledgable and experienced Electrician look at what you have in person and tell you what your options are.

Link Copied to Clipboard