ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
To get referrals, you have to be a member?
But a list of contractors is on the web page, with this disclaimer.......
The pros listed below are not members of the ServiceMagic network and work they perform is not covered under our Service Guarantee. Use of this directory is subject to the Directory Use Terms & Conditions.

I recognized many of the contractors names.. along with there phone numbers..... I am a bit confused about how this "referral" service works......if contractors and phone numbers are listed.......even though they aren't "members".

Am I looking at this from the consumer point of view?
what I did "look for" was electrical switches, on an addition, time flexible.

? Tiff

B
BizMan Offline OP
Tiffany,

You were looking at it from a consumer viewpoint. For contractors, we pay to compete for consumer requests for electrical work. The contractor members are "checked" by ServiceMagic for current insurance and licensing info...this helps direct a consumer to a licensed electrical contractor versus a fly-by-night outfitor those too lazy to prove they are legitimate. There are many places contractors can list their business for free (ServiceMagic is no exception) but that doesn't always mean they are qualified to take on the work.

BizMan

R
Well, I got a call from them today.
Does anyone have any information to update this older post?

J
SM has recently acquired Improvenet, another referral website. During the merger they would call and ask me to update my company info. I updated my info using their website link on Aug 8th or 9th. I am now getting phone calls and emails saying that my info needs to be updated.

Improvenets customer service was terrible. I am still getting inquiries asking if I am persueing about a job I declined back in April this year. When the support line is answered the rep says that they they will note this. A few months go by and the cycle repeats.

The customers I have talked to from the leads provided seemed to be mostly tire kickers that had no interest or already had the job done by someone else.

FWIW, contractor.com also has a similar service. They have 3 levels of membership, gold, silver and bronze. The more yearly dues you pay the closer to the top of the heap you are. I cannot figure out how they price the lead fees. Similar sounding jobs seem to have fees ranging from $18-40 to purchase the customer contact info. I do not believe that paying the lead fee guarantees that you will get the job as some leads show that there are others competing for the same job. Most times it is 3 or less competing.

R
Thanks for the "heads-up" Jim.
Good info.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard