ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#64401 04/06/06 06:49 PM
T
Gentlemen, I have a question about a bonding scenario I saw today. Working in a new hospital, I walked by a row of sub panels, and the bonding caught my eye. The first panel in the row was feeding the next, and had a 2" ridgid nipple between them. On the end of each side was a bonding bushing with the wire just going through the nipple and bonding on each side. It was a punched hole, but I thought the wire should extend to the grounding bus.

In the electrical room, I looked at the panels in there and I saw a few panels with the same set up, but instead of the wire just going from bushing to bushing, they had on side bonded to the panel, and nothing on the other side.
I can't find anything in the book that says this is wrong, but it just looked wrong. Maybe its just another way of doing it. Any ideas? Gary

#64402 04/06/06 07:09 PM
R
Gary it does sound a little odd but I can't see anything wrong either.

As an aside, they may have thought this was necessary to comply with 517.14 but it doesn't make sense to me. [Linked Image]

Roger

#64403 04/07/06 12:45 PM
E
Grounding bushings connect a wire to the pipe. By connecting two grounding bushings on opposite ends of a nipple together, they were merely bonding one end of the metal nipple to the other end. Maybe they thought this was required because of the requirement for redundant grounding (bonding) in health care facilities. In any event what they did was useless. A green wire from one panel's ground bus to the next panel's ground bus would be redundant grounding (bonding) with the locknuts and metal nipple the other bond. What was done falls a little short.

Earl

Link Copied to Clipboard