ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#64232 04/02/06 10:37 PM
B
bot540 Offline OP
Today I had about 700 dollars worth of power tools stolen. They smashed the rear window on my truck and took what power tools were left in there. Luckly they left my slugbuster, they must not of known what is was worth or they didn't have any more room in their hands. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you carry insurance for theft? I will be installing an alarm very soon.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
#64233 04/02/06 10:57 PM
E
We have insurance that extends to our tools and inventory in the trucks and our shop. If you have homeowners insurance or renters insurance it should extend to your personal property in the vehicle. Your auto policy may also cover it. I would be reluctant to claim on a homeowners policy for an amount this low because they'll cancel or non renew you.

#64234 04/02/06 10:59 PM
W
It sucks, period. I used to work in insurance claims and I can suggest to others that you keep an itemized list with receipts and pics/video of all your tools. But considering the dollar amount involved it's really not worth it filing a claim, claims against you can really hurt in property insurance. It's hindsight, but I would suggest keeping them out of view and locked up real well. One of the reasons I drive a beater car is that nobody would think I have 3k worth of tools in my trunk. Guys with toolboxes on the bed are just advertising that they have lots of nice tools, and most of the bed boxes can be busted into real quick.

#64235 04/02/06 11:01 PM
W
Also, your auto policy will not cover tools - it covers just your vehicle - that's another thing that really gets people mad when this happens, two claims = two deductibles

#64236 04/02/06 11:34 PM
A
Sorry to hear that bot540.

Guess it's time to get an alarm on my truck. I seen some that you can have a camra take a piture when the alarm is set. Neat idea but what are the chances the camera will be in the right spot. They also have ones with remotes that page you when the thing goes off.

Hindsite many cover the back windows for security. Also some vans are weak around the back lock and handle. Many put those puck locks on. I also seen some bolt in a small gang box with the tools locked in it.

You might keep an eye on ebay for your stuff. I thought I herd they closed the Able Pawn Shops for selling too much stolen goods.

#64237 04/03/06 05:35 PM
Bot:
Sorry for your loss.
Been there, done that.
Busted into the Bucket Truck; $3.00 in change out of cab; $350 for windows. Tryed to get into utility body; unsuccessful; $3500 damage to doors & locks. Got '04 van; rear & cab glass; $1500-$2000 tools/materials.

One van; 2002 stolen out of shop; also took 4-6 big TV's from moving co in building. Van 'found' 31 days later; stone empty & hurtin'.

Fortunatly, I have insurance on everything. BTW, $26K a year; WC/Auto/Liability/Umbrella, etc

John

John
#64238 04/03/06 06:23 PM
B
bot540 Offline OP
I definetly will be investing in some security soon. I'm going to get an alarm and gates welded over the windows, maybe a rotweiler too. I bet they wouldn't be too happy to break in and find a dog in the back.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
#64239 04/03/06 08:40 PM
E
e57 Offline
It is unfortunately a part of biz/life...

Too many times have I found the SOS!
Busted window... and anything not welded to the truck gone.

I have had some good luck in the last few years though, learning from the past.

I have a site style box laid on its side at the back door of the van. And it is set up like this... The door to the box won't open unless both back doors are open, it has 2 locks. Then all the doors are on power locks with the back and side doors key mechanisms chopped out. (So no one can just mash the keyways with a screw driver - happened in the past) So the only way the doors can open is that the power door locks un-lock, and only way into the tool box is to open the doors, which sets off the alarm. And against better descresion I have windows on the back doors, but they have grates, and a label that says the "doors will not open from inside".

The alarm is motion-sound-and door switches, AND GPS! 'I'll find you before the cops will!' I also have a cable lock that holds the hood shut, so it is going to take some added effort to cut the alarm wires. The doors constantely re-lock if the alarm goes off.

Then the van is never parked anywhere but outside my front door, I am a light sleeper, and have been known to charge out naked if not in my boxers if the alarm goes off. Which some kid found out about after setting off my alarm while looking in my window. He got 6'2" former Marine (Me) holding him upsidedown with his face in the gutter until the cops came a few weeks ago. Unfortunately he didn't break anything and the cops had to let him go. But he did get the crapola scared out of him, and his two freinds who left him there with me...

I'm thinking of getting some cameras for around the house, that way if I am not around, I have a picture for refferance....

All tools are ingraved with my name and phone number "If lost or stolen", as well as varied clever addages like: "This tool is not for sale - ever!" - "Kill the person who tries to sell this tool." etc. Some are branded with an old dog tag into the plastic, but recently found something better and easier than that. I got my last shop some epoxy asset tags that worked really well. You can get a few for each tool, and they apply in seconds. They are pretty visable, and really hard to get one off, nevermind 3-4 of them.

Anyway, as you can tell, I take the issue very seriously after having 3 vans emptied before.

Rule #1 is never buy "used" tools sold on the street or anywhere else, treat that individual as if he was the person who ripped you off...
#2 lock everything, everytime.
#3 Make it difficult to steal, and equally difficult to sell.

*Unfortunately a dog will only get you in trouble with the SPCA.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#64240 04/04/06 12:44 AM
M
What I have for my van is the box from my super tugger bolted right behind the cage that seperates the cab from the rest of the van. I keep all my big money tools inside that locked up. Of course they could easlily just steal the van and work on it on their spare time... At night it is inside my garage with 9' high custom garage doors. I have my garage equiped with an alarm system. It sucks in some regards nowadays to have to lock everything up like this. I feel bad for you bot.

#64241 04/05/06 11:15 PM
D
You'll find several posts here relating similar stories, mine included.

Welcome to the club.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard