ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#64219 04/05/06 12:35 PM
F
Freezers are not put on gfci circuits because we don't want to take the chance of spoiling our food when the thing trips accidently. A compressor may or may not trip a gfci, and if you are spray painting a vehicle you do not want to ruin the finish by having the pressure drop when it trips.
You may want to chance to 20 amp 240v for a larger compressor, which negates the gfci anyway. It's only a matter of how much you are willing to spend, and what you want to be able to do. You don't even need a dedicated circuit for a small compressor, just plug it in and use it as is on the garage general purpose circuit. Results may vary. But, a garage is a man's castle. My house is my wife's domain, she picks out the colors , furnature etc.... The garage and sheds are all mine. If I want twist lock recepticles and plugs, I will have them.

#64220 04/05/06 02:27 PM
J
JBD Offline
Put in the GFCI.

Don't believe the old wives tale that motors cause GFCIs to nuisance trip.

GFCIs are designed to work with motors otherwise every hand tool, pond pump and spa would experience nuisance problems. IMO, cheap motors use cheap capacitors which leak to their case. This leakage causes ground faults which in turn cause the GFCI to operate as intended.

If you experience trips with GFCIs fix the load, don't blame the protective device.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard