ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#63832 03/26/06 12:40 AM
U
u2slow Offline OP
My lack of residential experience is showing through [Linked Image]

I'm moving and upgrading the service - sooner than I would like because the roof needs to be redone.

The stucco on my place has seen better days.
I fear that trying to surface-mount the base and mast will finish it off.

That leaves me with smashing the stucco off the immediate area, and mounting the base & mast directly to the sheathing. Patching the stucco afterwards I don't mind, but this arrangement will leave the area behind the base and mast unfinished. Is this a problem?

Who's got some good ideas? Space it out somehow?

N
Patching drywall is a lot easier then patching stucco, is it possable to access from behind it and add blocking? A new color coat is a good way to spiff up tired looking stucco,BTW.

U
u2slow Offline OP
The inside wall is unfinished. No problem with access that way. Blocking is a certainty.

The stucco is a stone-dash finish, so quite rough and uneven.

Hopefully when I carve the hole in the roof and soffit tomorrow the solution will become obvious [Linked Image]

T
The soffit and roof will provide support for the mast, so you only need support for the mast closer to the meter socket and for the meter socket. Blocks from the inside will give you plenty of support, use a masonry drill to get through the stucco.

Dave

Cat Servant
Stucco never stands alone.

I use strut to mount the panel and mast. Not only does this allow for the uneven surface, it allows me to sink my lag bolts into the studs, or toggles though the plywood backing (if any).
Where wires exit the back of the panel, I use a chase nipple and threaded coupling to act as a bushing between the box and the wall.

U
u2slow Offline OP
So strut on top of the stucco? Spring-nuts for the base... p-clamps on the mast... I'm sure I still need the u-bolts though. Hmmm...

G
Is this stucco over wood or CBS?

Greg Fretwell
U
u2slow Offline OP
Stucco over wood - shiplap to be precise.

Today I got the hole cut in the roof and soffit. The framing within the soffit is going to make me space the mast about 3/4" from the stucco surface.

U
u2slow Offline OP
I figured it out [Linked Image]

It passed inspected yesterday, and the POCO will juice it up this week [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from u2slow.gotdns.org]

[Linked Image from u2slow.gotdns.org]

A
You may want to reduce the heigth of the riser above the roof by a couple of feet or else you amy need to back guy it to keep it from bending.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard